HERMS w/ AutoSparge compatibility.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3asturd

Reaction score
OK So I am designing my singe tier HERMS/Autosparge system and I posted in the AG threads looking for critique. I'm new to AG and HERMS, and autosparge for that matter.

I've been in discussion with another member who is saying that autosparge and HERMS are redundant. Is this the case? He seems to know what he's talking about...but.....I thought I understood enough about the autosparge to know that it's a seperate process altogether. The only way I can relate HERMS and AutoSparge i to say my HERMS outlet will be passing through my autosparge valve, as approved by Mr. Blichmann himself.

My other thread

Here's the system design I have come up with. Originally I drew the picture to clarify what parts I had already and what parts I needed to order. I added the flow lines to clarify everything in my head.

PLEASE feel free to critique the design.
6603-all-grain-brew-path-version-1.jpg

Sounds like the guy in the other thread is running full flow through the HERMS during his mash. So for him the autosparge would be pretty useless as the valve would be wide open the whole time.

I don't use a HERMS system, but I would imagine if you weren't running full flow the autosparge would work just fine. I could be wrong though.

Nah, the guy is just confused, perhaps thinking that YOU think the autosparge has specific utility during the HERMS use for mashing. Running the HERMS through the autosparge is just to reuse the top MLT bulkhead that you WILL use for the sparge anyway. You'd just nail it wide open for the HERMS step. I said this in the other thread too.

Latest posts

Back