First all grain brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teddyk

Reaction score
Gotta say, second batch ever and im addicted.

Im sippin on my noble trappist (extract) about a week early and it tastes, looks and works spectacularly.

I just started the boil on an all grain hanks hefe from midwest using my diy mash tun. It was a lot of work, but fun... Seriously, had a blast doing this. I am hooked.

I just want to say thanks to everyone on here. I have learned and continue to learn a crap load just by searching and reading on this forum.

I hope to post something way more educational and informative after i pitch the yeast and clean up.

image-1640133442.jpg

image-4274465959.jpg

image-3910001943.jpg

Thanks guys.

the yeast has been pitched and everything is finally cleaned up.

I had a snafu with my wort chiller. The incoming line popped off and a little tap water made its way into the wort. Not too bad. I ended up with an og of 1.052. Im pretty pumped because i fall on the higher side of the range for the recipe.

Im guessing my efficiency was pretty good. I mashed for 60 min at damn near 152. Strike water was pushing 170. Did a 60 minute batch sparge at 170 ish... Temp dropped after i added the sparge water.

Im happy with the way the manifold worked. So all in all i think this was a success. If anybody is familiar with the recipe kit and wishes to comment, i would love to here some opinions.

Thanks for the pic of your mash tun- have the AG itch but not quite ready to go all-out equipment-wise (yet!), good to see simpler solutions.

*hear some opinions.

Was the 60 minute sparge an issue? The ::eek:: has me wondering.

I plan on doing an all grain saison soon. Any tips between now and then is appreciated.

teddyk said:
*hear some opinions.

Was the 60 minute sparge an issue? The ::eek:: has me wondering.

I plan on doing an all grain saison soon. Any tips between now and then is appreciated.

As far as I know, a longer sparge isn't really beneficial. The goal is to rinse sugars off the grains. If you're going to spend extra time sparging, you may as well do a double batch sparge.

teddyk said:
Thanks guys.

Im guessing my efficiency was pretty good. I mashed for 60 min at damn near 152. Strike water was pushing 170. Did a 60 minute batch sparge at 170 ish... Temp dropped after i added the sparge water.
I know everyone does things their own way- but to me that seems to defeat the purpose of a batch sparge. I use it to shave a little time. I can see doing a mash out for like 10 minuets, 60 is way to long.[]

Thanks for the pic of your mash tun- have the AG itch but not quite ready to go all-out equipment-wise (yet!), good to see simpler solutions.

I find storing my AG equipment as much of a challenge as acquiring it. I use old coolers from Goodwill for my hot liquor tank and my Mash Tun...about $5 each. The manifold for the tun is made from CPVC in 3/4" size with slits cut from a hacksaw. Add a nice stainless bulkhead ball valve. So far I am only in about $50. Watch craigslist for a nice used keg, add a nice ball valve bulkhead on this... Another $70. Lastly get yourself an immersion chiller or a counterflow chiller...Depending on design, maybe $50-$125. All in all about $250 for my to get well setup. You should recoup this after maybe 20-30 brew sessions because the grain is cheaper than DME or Malt Extract syrup. Good luck, and have fun.

I find storing my AG equipment as much of a challenge as acquiring it. I use old coolers from Goodwill for my hot liquor tank and my Mash Tun...about $5 each. The manifold for the tun is made from CPVC in 3/4" size with slits cut from a hacksaw. Add a nice stainless bulkhead ball valve. So far I am only in about $50. Watch craigslist for a nice used keg, add a nice ball valve bulkhead on this... Another $70. Lastly get yourself an immersion chiller or a counterflow chiller...Depending on design, maybe $50-$125. All in all about $250 for my to get well setup. You should recoup this after maybe 20-30 brew sessions because the grain is cheaper than DME or Malt Extract syrup. Good luck, and have fun.

Space is indeed the big issue- moving cross-country later this year, so trying to look at options with the gear that I have (or do it cheaply enough to just sell it on craigslist pre-move and then upgrade in WI...:ban:). Good call on Goodwill, thanks! :mug:

I have done 2 all grain brews now and taught someone else how on the second and have plans to have 3 new people watching me do my 3 rd lol this is addictive and contageous it seems lol

Back