Developing a taste for beer - Opened my first beer after 7 days in the bottle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHeadGrady

Reaction score
And it tastes like turpentine. Its clear, bubbly, has a beer smell, but a very very unfinished taste. I just wanted to see what green beer tastes like. It tastes foul. Back in the storage for 2 more weeks. At least...

If it tastes like this in 2-4 weeks it's goin down the pooper.
Its a mash extract recipe using the Cooper Lager that came with my Coopers DIY kit.

I think that's not a terrible idea, even though it tasted like the bottom of a gym locker.
At least you'll know what it tastes like when it isn't ready.

Hmm, turpentine should not be a taste in beer at any stage of the process!

What were your pitch and ferment temps and how long did you ferment?

Sounds to me like you might have another problem, green beer tastes like warm uncarbonated beer, shouldn't taste any different than the finished product.

Sounds like you have a serious fermentation temp control issue with a lot of fusel alcohols. What was your fermentation temp?

I don't think your young beer should have an objectional taste. After bottling my beer I always taste the leftover beer out of the bucket. It gets a lot better after a month of conditioning but I can get a good idea what it will taste like in the future. But it never tastes bad.

MikeinCT said:
. After bottling my beer I always taste the leftover beer out of the bucket.

one of my favorite parts of bottling day, besides drinking beer all day in preparation for bottling, is the leftover bit in the bucket that won't fit into a bottle. I will pour that into a glass and drink it just as it is. Anyone that likes a nice cask ale should be able to appreciate their beer straight out of the fermenter.

I guess I was being a little harsh. It's drinkable, just a bit of a ripe taste. it does taste like beer, just a bad one.

I fermented at 16-18C for two weeks. Stored in dark cold storage. OG was 1043 final was 1013. Fermentation process was great. Beer is clear. Just tastes really bad... haha. The sample from the bottle bucket tasted better. It just has a bit of a funny after taste.

I am using coopers carb tabs. This by far the crappiest beer I have on the go. I used the coopers brew enh which uses dextrose.
My other batches are all malt.

Is it meant to be green?

If you're asking if it's meant to be green... as in the color... that's not what is meant by "green beer". Green is an adjective describing a beer's taste in it's early stages, not really ripe yet and has to mellow out more.

If you're asking if it's meant to be green... as in the color... that's not what is meant by "green beer". Green is an adjective describing a beer's taste in it's early stages, not really ripe yet and has to mellow out more.

yeah mellow out would be a good term to use. If the after taste was a bit more mellow and less greeny I could buckle down on a few of these. Nice head on it, little carb bubbles coming up the glass. I just sniffed the bottle again, it smells 'beery' ... I guess. I am not a fan of Old Mildew or cheap beer so I wasn't expecting much except a cheap drunk anyway from this batch....:tank:

Thats okay I was trying to be funny. :)

Thats okay I was trying to be funny. :)

Just making sure.. sometimes you never know lol ;)

And yea, I tasted my oatmeal stout 2 weeks in the bottle because I have zero patience. I took 2 sips and had to pour it down the drain. It was just too... harsh... is the only way I can put it. It's only got 30 ibu's so it wasn't the hop bitterness, just some other kind of "harshness" that I couldn't swallow.

I opened another bottle at 3 weeks just because, and now it's velvety smooth and awesome.

Back