question about my hop garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
So I just got finished building a little 4x4 bed for a hop garden I'm hoping to get started on this week...it's also 2 feet above the ground to help keep the hops safe from critters. This is all the space I have because the rest of the yard is fenced in for the dogs...there was just a little 6 foot strip outside the fence before the creek so I built the biggest area I could on the left and then ran line diagonally to a pole on the right. There's enough line for growth up to about at least 30 feet - so no problem there.

Now my question is...how many rhizomes can I plant in this space? My LHBS has a few extra that they ordered and I told them I'd swing by tomorrow if possible. My guess is that I can only fit one plant. If so, how much can I expect year over year from only the one plant?

Thanks in advance for the help...

I know different varieties need to be five feet apart. I'm not sure how close you can plant the same variety.

Homebrewers garden says "Hops are usually grown in hills about 2 1/2 to 3 feet apart with, with one to two rhizomes per hill." So if You are planting the same kind you can fit 2 in there comforatably. Not knowing any better i had planted all mine 1.5-2 ft apart. This will be their 3rd year. They did wonderfully last year(had to move em this year jury still out on how they doing)

Latest posts

Back