Substitute for Honey Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbreen01

Reaction score
I went to the LHBS this afternoon and they were out of honey malt:( . I was planning on brewing up a batch of honey wheat this evening and wasn't sure if I should just be patient or try to adapt. I have some aromatic and some biscuit malt. Worth a try to substitute? I was only going to use 0.25 lb Honey Malt with 2 lbs honey. What do you think?

Marc.

Aromatic might be an interesting thing to try, although there is nothing else like honey malt. If you think you can get some within three weeks, you could brew without it, then when it arrives, steep it in a pint of water, boil for 5 minutes, cool and add to the fermenter/clearing tank. A wheat won't clear completely anyway.

Okay, I called around and found a brewstore about an hour away that carried honey malt. After nibbling on some honey malt and comparing it to aromatic, it's really not the same. At any rate, I'm brewing up a batch with:

8 oz honey malt
4 oz carapils
4 lbs wheat DME

3/4 oz Styrian goldings at 60 min
3/4 oz Styrian goldings at 20 min
3/4 oz Styrian goldings at 5 min

2 lbs honey at flameout

Wyeast 1010 American Wheat Ale yeast

We'll see how it turns out.

Marc.

So, any feedback?
Did it turn out well?
What would you do different?
I'm intrigued by the recipe and I might give it a try.

Never wound up trying an aromatic substitute for honey malt...I think that the aromatic would be more biscuit flavored vs. honey. But I've modified my Honey Wheat recipe and make it annually since it's always a crowd pleaser.

steep for 30 minutes:
4 oz carapils
8 oz honey malt

Bring to boil, then add:
4 lbs Wheat DME
1 oz Glacier

Boil 40 min, then add:
1/2 oz Glacier

Boil for 5 minutes, then add:
1 tsp Irish moss
1/4 oz Sweet orange peel

Boil for 10 minutes, then add:
1/2 Glacier

Boil for 5 minutes, and at flame out add:
2 lbs honey
1/4 oz Sweet orange peel

Ferment with Wyeast 1010 American Wheat Yeast.
Bottle when fermentation is complete with 3/4 cup corn sugar.

I can't remember off the top of my head when/why I changed the hops profile, but I typically have used a little carapils for some mouthfeel/body. I've brewed this several times while using a wort chiller and have never run into problems with flame out addition of honey. Just about to brew up a batch here this week!

Enjoy. :mug:

Marc.

I don't get the 'honey' flavor people seem to get from honey malt - to me it's like turbo-munich.

I'd do a mix of munich and caravienne to get an approximation...

Back