No signs of fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummer3

Reaction score
I brewed my second attempt at this hobby Wednesday (English Pale Ale) and a day and a half latter I still don't see any bubbling. I put it in my basement and it got to 66 degrees. Is this to cold? Whats going on? Or NOT going on? Anyone!:confused:

What kind of yeast are you pitching? that is not really too cold, but it is a little down there for an Ale Yeast, and that might be your issue.

Let us know on the yeast, as well as your cooling/pitching procedure.

The yeast I used is what came with the kit,Nottingham brewing yeast. Iam following Dave Millers Homebrewing guide. I pitched the yeast by stirring it into a cup of warm(100 degree) water and cover for 10-15 min. Then stir into wart. I stirred the crap out of the wart with a sterile spoon on and off for 20 min. to airate it

Also for cooling I filled the tub with cold water and 4 bags of ice to get down to 70 degrees as fast as possible.I kept the lid on the pot except when I checked the temp occassionally by stirring with one hand and holding the thermometer with the other to get an accurate reading.

Is this fermenting in a bucket? If so, and the lid is not completely sealed, which is not uncommon, you will not see any airlock activity. If it is in a bucket, carefully open the lid to see if any foam (krausen) has formed on the top, or if a scum ring is present on the side of the bucket just above the liquid level. This will be an indication of whether fermentation is taking place.

John

OK. As long as the yeast is viable, I would think that you would see action soon. The one time I fermented in the mid 60's *F it took a while. I do hydrate the yeast for a little longer than that, a couple hours in cooled boiled water and extract. I do this to ensure that I am pitching viable yeast.

The other thing you could check is whether you have a good seal on your fermenter bung/lid. If there is a leak, it could be starting without building pressure, though you would start to see a krausen. Are you using a bucket or a carboy? if a bucket, lightly press the lid and see if the airlock moves, indicating that it is building pressure. bungs normally seal well. If you feel a little pressure, then it is going, and is just a slower starter. I would give it to mid weekend and then possibly repitch some more viable yeast.

Okay , I did get bubbles when I pressed on the top, Checked the lid and air lock. Decided to lift the lid and take a little and peek, no krausen at all. Resealed lid, sanitised airlock and replaced. What do you think, still wait a couple days? Temp now at 68*F, moved it to main floor this morning.

Ok, after talking to two HB stores I did what they suggested. Which was to take a pack of fresh yeast and sprinkle it on top of the beer. No aireating, no stirring. This morning its bubbling nicely. Hope I didn't let any nasties in. I guess I'll find out.

After pitching the second time the fermentation was quick and lasted 8 days . I'm going to rack to the secondary sunday the 1st. All looks good so far.

could have been bad yeast to start with. Nottingham usually takes off very quick and figorous.

You have rehydrated at 85F not 100. That might have made a differance too. Also when you add the warm yeast to the cold water it can shock it. Add cooler water or wort to the slurry before you add to the bucket.

Back