ever used WLP380?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYat

Reaction score
whats up!

I got a orange hefe batch I recently did with WLP380. first time usin that particular yeast. well after checking the gravity I'm at 1.012. cant see it droppin much more. OG was 1.052. the beer has a 1/4 inch layer of thick slushy yeast floating on top. I'm really surprised it hasn't settled by now. smells a lil sulfur-ish but taste great. fermentation was 66-68 almost two weeks. any ideas? just askin cause I usually rack around this time and the yeast has settled out by now. thanks God Bless

I never used 380, I typically use 300; check gravity three days in a row to be certain however I would still give it a few three weeks if not four to really clean up itself

so u have had the yeast sittin on top like that even after it's basically done fermenting? I personally never have seen that in all of prolly 25 batches made. for a week now the gravity has been at 1.012. I'de say it ferment out in like 3 or 4 days. the yeast starter had em ready for battle! lol. I was just gonna rack it off the yeast to the secondary and let it clean cause of sulfur smell. I have read that 380 does give off some of that particular odor. the yeast starter had a faint sulfur smell. but after seeing that characteristic about this yeast I didn't we any issues.

I'm using that yeast for the first time also. Temp's been holding at 63, and it been a very slow and steady fermentation. It's been running for a week, and I pulled my first sg last night. Started at 1.052 and is currently at 1.030. There is a faint sulphur smell, but I'm fermenting it a bit lower than you. Mine's an Orange Wit of my own creation, tasted pretty good if I do say so myself. It currently has a big Bubbly Kruesen, but I didn't notice any yeast slurry floating on it.

hmmmm ok cool bra thanks! yeah I'm doin my orange hefe that I do for summer. (great beer when u on the water) so I decided to try that yeast for the first time. says it has some orange and apricots notes so thought it would be great to try. taste great just was wondering about the slurry on top. this morning I see it had decreased so it's just cleanin up. everything taste fine so in that case, WE GRITS AND GRAVY!!! lol

u do smell the sulfur also huh? yeah I read it's a characteristic of this one.

did u make a starter? pitched with matchin temps of 68 my fermentation was strong steady and prolly done in 5 days. the FG has been 1.012 for almost a week.

thanks again gents! God Bless

Yes I made a starter, mostly because the vial was past it's due date. Wanted to make a starter just to make sure it was viable. Took 24 hrs but it seemed to take off just fine.

I think I'm going to wash some and keep a few pts for some future brews.

yeah I usually have a slower ferment is the yeast is past the fresh by date. Guess u loose a couple guys over time. :)

this one started in prolly 8 hours time. happy with the yeast. could be a keeper.

380 is my favorite hef yeast. I think it is the closest to the Bavarian style hefs out there. I usually make a starter for 1.055ish hefs and it finishes around 1.008 - 1.015 depending on mash temps and ferm temps.

Back