Samuel Smith Oatmeal Sout clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPressure

Reaction score

extract oatmeal stout clone. its been in the bottle 3 weeks so far.

It is pretty close to the real thing, some longer bottle conditioning would help i think.

Hi BeerPressue - First, congrats on being the recipient of my first post/lucky you! ;) I just got finished brewing my first (solo) batch, an AHS American IPA, which came out fantastic! I followed the AHS recipe instructions TO A Tee (I didn't want to blame any bad results on not following the prescribed process). So now I'm on brew #2, the AHS Sam Smith Oat Stout clone, and I had a couple of quick questions for ya since I saw you brewed it (only 1.5 yrs ago :))...

1) Tomorrow makes day 7 in Primary, she's still fermenting pretty good based on the bubble rate. Did you follow the AHS recipe w.r.t. timing in Primary/Secondary? All the reading I'm doing on stouts suggests keeping it in the primary/secondary longer than what AHS says (1 week Primary/1 week Secondary).

2) So how did yours turn out/any recommendations based on your experience with this kit?

Hi BeerPressue - First, congrats on being the recipient of my first post/lucky you! ;) I just got finished brewing my first (solo) batch, an AHS American IPA, which came out fantastic! I followed the AHS recipe instructions TO A Tee (I didn't want to blame any bad results on not following the prescribed process). So now I'm on brew #2, the AHS Sam Smith Oat Stout clone, and I had a couple of quick questions for ya since I saw you brewed it (only 1.5 yrs ago :))...

1) Tomorrow makes day 7 in Primary, she's still fermenting pretty good based on the bubble rate. Did you follow the AHS recipe w.r.t. timing in Primary/Secondary? All the reading I'm doing on stouts suggests keeping it in the primary/secondary longer than what AHS says (1 week Primary/1 week Secondary).

2) So how did yours turn out/any recommendations based on your experience with this kit?
I only used a primary and left it in there for about 3 weeks then bottled it. I cant really remember too much about the beer except that it was good.

Thx BP, think I'm going to go 1.5 weeks Primary, 1.5 weeks Secondary (and of course, let the ole Hydrometer seal the deal). Cheers!:rockin:

Back