The city read my mind and sent me a water report!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The recent move has been a lot of work, a lot of fun, and has had no shortage of headaches. Last week, I intended to stop by the city utilities office for a copy of the water report, but I never got around to it. Well, guess what was waiting for me in the mailbox today?! I guess they send a copy of the report to all new customers. I was about to be disappointed in yet another water report containing only contaminant levels, but then I read page 5:

water_report.jpg

Sweet! They must know I brew! I already knew that the tap water is fairly hard, but it tastes pretty good, so I was looking forward to getting some specifics. According to Palmer's graphs and spreadsheets, this water is solidly in the ESB to stout range. With a little acid and/or brewing salts, I should be able to adjust the water to nearly any profile. Also, it appears that the treatment facility uses chlorine rather than chloramine - more good news. Now I need to brew!

I get one every year, just about everything is below detection limits. Somewhere, deep under the coastal range, gnomes are running a monster RO unit.

We get one every year, but it's mostly focused around what they are doing about our recurring duck poo problem. :( It's never a proper one.

I think it's a requirement to send one annually in most states. Many times, the annual report sent to homeowners only shows contaminant levels, so it's nearly worthless for homebrewing. This is the first time I've gotten one as a new homeowner. The timing and was impeccable.

Back