Double IPA Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Process and numbers sound good. Most likely the US-04 and 152 mash temp. Just brewed a double IPA with S-04 for the first time in ages; It's a little sweet. A drier result requires a lower mash temp and possibly a more attenuating yeast. US-05 has 81% attenuation where US-04 is 75%. Carbonation levels can change the whole perception of the beer; More CO2 can add some bite that might reduce the sweetness. Good luck, I'm sure you dad will love it!

Hello everyone. So i decided to brew this 90 minute clone for my dad whom is coming down for labor day. I tapped the keg last night, after two weeks since being kegged, to see how it was coming along. The color looks great but still a little cloudy. The hop aroma smelled enticing as I had hoped. When I took a sip, it was sweet--which puzzled me. I got a hint of bitterness, but there was definitely a strong sweetness to it that I was no expecting. I'm thinking (hoping rather) that it is still too green. Here is the information on the brewing/fermentation process:

I mashed 16lb of 2-row and 2lb of TF&Sons at 150* for 90 minutes, with initial temperature after mash-in probably settling at 152*. Ratio was about 1.5qt/lb. I did the 90 minute boil adding the mixed hops at 10 minute intervals. I threw in some irish moss at the end of the boil and chilled the wort to about 78*. I pitched in two packets of S-04 to hydrate for 30-40 minutes before aerating and sealing up the fermenter. OG was 1.088 (I got about 71% efficiency on the mash).

So fermentation kicked off like a rocket booster which kept temperatures fairly high on the fermenter for the first 24 hours. I kept an eye on it and it started at 74-76* (yikes). I was able to cool it down to the mid 60s using a swamp cooler, keeping it between 66 and 68 for the remainder of the fermentation. It was in the primary for two weeks; SG when I racked to secondary to dry hop was 1.016 (which turned out to be the FG). I left it in the secondary for 10 days or so before kegging. ABV est. 9.3%, IBU 83, SRM 10*L.

I sanitize, sanitize and sanitize; additionally, I ferment in a dark room so no sunlight comes in. I am thinking the beer is either two green yet (9.3% and two weeks probably isn't anywhere near enough) or maybe the high temperature for the first 24 hours of the fermentation has something to do with it. Suggestions on what's causing the sweetness? haha. I know it needs more time to condition because of how big it is, but I am paranoid that I jacked up somewhere during the brew->keg process resulting in the flavor. This is my first AG IPA...

Your brew isn't the only one that turned out overly sweet. I've asked another in this thread to post what recipe they used which they claimed was a clone but got no response. So take that for whatever it's worth.

Thank you for the replies and the yeast tip. It's almost too sweet to enjoy, so I might crank up the carbonation a tad bit and hopefully in two weeks it will at least be enjoyable. As all brewers know, time will tell. Cheers. :mug:

Thank you for the replies and the yeast tip. It's almost too sweet to enjoy, so I might crank up the carbonation a tad bit and hopefully in two weeks it will at least be enjoyable. As all brewers know, time will tell. Cheers. :mug:

I thought that the rule of thumb was to ferment to 1/4 of OSG which would be 1.022. Wouldn't that say that anything below that would be dry and above that number would be sweet - all things being equal? I can't see anything in your numbers that would indicate a sweet beer. A wild guess would be that the residual yeast or hops could give a sense of sweetness. Sometimes people say my wheat beer tastes sweet, but I think they may be tasting the yeast. Then as you mention the greenness and the carbing could be a factor. At a certain point my DFH 90 jumped in quality. Say after about 4 weeks in the keg. Aging can generally help a lot especially in a stronger beer.

I see a lot of people complaining they were not getting a sweet taste they found in the commercial version, so maybe you did something right!

The problem with my last batch was that it took about 4 weeks to properly carbonate. It was also the 1st time I used the full 4 ounces of dry hops in the keg - so I attibuted the slow carb to all the hops in the keg.

Hello everyone. So i decided to brew this 90 minute clone for my dad whom is coming down for labor day. I tapped the keg last night, after two weeks since being kegged, to see how it was coming along. The color looks great but still a little cloudy. The hop aroma smelled enticing as I had hoped. When I took a sip, it was sweet--which puzzled me. I got a hint of bitterness, but there was definitely a strong sweetness to it that I was no expecting. I'm thinking (hoping rather) that it is still too green. Here is the information on the brewing/fermentation process:

I mashed 16lb of 2-row and 2lb of TF&Sons at 150* for 90 minutes, with initial temperature after mash-in probably settling at 152*. Ratio was about 1.5qt/lb. I did the 90 minute boil adding the mixed hops at 10 minute intervals. I threw in some irish moss at the end of the boil and chilled the wort to about 78*. I pitched in two packets of S-04 to hydrate for 30-40 minutes before aerating and sealing up the fermenter. OG was 1.088 (I got about 71% efficiency on the mash).

So fermentation kicked off like a rocket booster which kept temperatures fairly high on the fermenter for the first 24 hours. I kept an eye on it and it started at 74-76* (yikes). I was able to cool it down to the mid 60s using a swamp cooler, keeping it between 66 and 68 for the remainder of the fermentation. It was in the primary for two weeks; SG when I racked to secondary to dry hop was 1.016 (which turned out to be the FG). I left it in the secondary for 10 days or so before kegging. ABV est. 9.3%, IBU 83, SRM 10*L.

I sanitize, sanitize and sanitize; additionally, I ferment in a dark room so no sunlight comes in. I am thinking the beer is either two green yet (9.3% and two weeks probably isn't anywhere near enough) or maybe the high temperature for the first 24 hours of the fermentation has something to do with it. Suggestions on what's causing the sweetness? haha. I know it needs more time to condition because of how big it is, but I am paranoid that I jacked up somewhere during the brew->keg process resulting in the flavor. This is my first AG IPA...

Propper amount of yeast, stable temperature controlled fermentation using a fridge for this one. As you know it can go crazy and the temp will jump way up! I over cooled a batch once and the yeast went to ZzzzZZZzzz and the beer was way to sweet/unfinished.
But my last 2 batches I nailed it.

Keeping temp at 68 then I raised to 70 when in secondary.
Used set it and forget it carbonating method for 1 week.
then held urge to drink to much for another 1 week.
When this beer is young it has little sweetness to it.
Give it another week and it will be golden.
Nice and clear and strong.!

Even though I use secondary for 2 weeks then cold crash for 3 days before I keg.
I then wait another 2 weeks before drinking it and always pull 1 to 2 hazy glasses out. by week 3 in keg it is soo clear!

love this beer recipe, it's one of my favorites along with a award winning Dbl Citra IPA I found online.

cheers

Has anyone adapted this IPA framework to other hops and combos?

I'm thinking of creating a 60minute version of this recipe, with propotionally less 2 row and TFA malt, but with Citra, El Dorado, and Warrior hops.

I can't get Amarillo right now, so I'm trying Warrior, Simcoe, and Mosaic in equal amounts today. I think it will be pretty good, but very fruity.

I would also consider Ahtanum in a 3 or 4:1:1 Ahtanum:Warrior:Simcoe. I have to do a Galaxy test batch to see how it goes, but that might be a candidate here too.

For the record, I've made the DFH90 clone several times with recommended hops.

Just want to see what people think here. I started brewing this beer in early 2009, so I'm using an old grain bill. The important part here is I toast my own malt (only recently able to get amber malt locally and not worth it after shipping for me). Has anyone else tried this? I find it gives a nice nutty character with a mild toast. Start with Pilsner malt and basically roast for about 45 mintues at 350 until the inside of the grain is "buff."

Brewed a 5 gal batch with 16.5# 2row and 1.5# tfa. Sounds like that may have been a bit heavy on the tfa. Hit 1.083, and blew out the airlock in 24 hrs. Happily bubbling away at 17.5 C with a 1" blow off tube now. Pitched a 1.5 L starter with two vials of wlp007.

So here we are, one week later. This brew is already getting better. I finally got my temperature controlled fermenter (chest freezer) and moved my fermenting bitburger into it. I cranked the keezer back down to 35° and I'm forcing about 2.75 volumes of CO2. It still a little cloudy and has a hint of sweet-flowery taste initially. One more week and this puppy will be nice. I drank about 10oz and I am buzzin already... partly because I haven't eaten dinner yet, and partly because it's 9.3% (est). I also noticed that my TFaS grain was Halcyon not Amber. Good brew though.

A friend and I brewed 10 gallons of this about a month ago, we just tried our first bottle. Oh my, it is amazing, as close as I would guess you can get to the original. The OG was a bit lower resulting in a bit less ac but good enough for me.

I would just like to say that I just myself have experienced a different off taste in the batch of DFH 90min from my local store.
Up till this time they have all been consistent and tasted same and good.
this last batch bottled 7-7-13 is off to me.
1st it is off in clarity..
2nd it has a "Green" "Young" / "Not ready!" taste to me. very earthy and
3rd it has a yeasty taste to it.
You know what it tastes like!!!!
Now that I think and type about it.!
it taste like the 1st draws I take off my keg or the last draws!
Like where yeast is in both haha.
kinda sharp on the tongue.
again 1st time ever with inconstancy and was shocked and had to login and share.
had 3 so far all the same.
Find myself disappointed and have had a few other beers instead in between the 3.
OK I better slow down now. ;)

Brian4x4 said:
I would just like to say that I just myself have experienced a different off taste in the batch of DFH 90min from my local store.
Up till this time they have all been consistent and tasted same and good.
this last batch bottled 7-7-13 is off to me.
1st it is off in clarity..
2nd it has a "Green" "Young" / "Not ready!" taste to me. very earthy and
3rd it has a yeasty taste to it.
You know what it tastes like!!!!
Now that I think and type about it.!
it taste like the 1st draws I take off my keg or the last draws!
Like where yeast is in both haha.
kinda sharp on the tongue.
again 1st time ever with inconstancy and was shocked and had to login and share.
had 3 so far all the same.
Find myself disappointed and have had a few other beers instead in between the 3.
OK I better slow down now. ;)

If its really that off, I would send DFH an email and save a bottle to send them so they can taste it. I bet they would do something for you on a quality front too.

If its really that off, I would send DFH an email and save a bottle to send them so they can taste it. I bet they would do something for you on a quality front too.

yeah I was thinking about it but its all the beer I had left and I managed to spill half the last one. lol
what a putz//
anyway I am going to go back and buy another one from the same store and report back.
This store hasn't had any in a while I ask all the time. they said they where not able to get them for a little bit of time.
so weird..

I found some a few bucks cheaper at a quick stop and they where great tasting as usual. that was the last time I bought them before this batch.
the ones from quick stop had great color and where smooth and malty.
will see what the next four pack brings..

oh on a side note I plan to make 10 gal of this brew on Sunday forgot to mention. lol
Fermenting in 2 buckets and using 007 on one and London ale on other. I loved the london ale yeast for this. Hops came through so much more to me.
little less smooth and slight more bitter. but good.

Yeah Good luck. I didn't save a bottle from a batch last year, but it was completely wrecked. It had enough yeast slurry in it, I could have fermented a batch with it. On second though, I should have!:) However, I emailed the brewery and only got a response of...QA deemed it within standards. Happy drinking my expensive beer. I boycotted them for about a month....now I'm drinking a punkin. Go figure.

S-

I gotta try this recipe. I love the beer. The 120 is by far my favorite though but way out of my budget for regular enjoyment.

This will be made again 4th time? My wife put in an order for this one. I save a little by subbing in some of my cascade hops for one of the others.

Being this calls for 90 IBU's and it's continually hopped for 90 mins. how is
everyone calculating the IBU's? Just calculate all hops for a 60 min. boil and leave it at that? (I'm Using Beersmith)
Thanks.

No, when I made it i combined all the hops and divided them up in cups (fairly uniformally--simcoe, warrior, Amarillo) and just made an addition every 7.5 minutes or so across the 90 minute boil.

RoadKing said:
Being this calls for 90 IBU's and it's continually hopped for 90 mins. how is
everyone calculating the IBU's? Just calculate all hops for a 60 min. boil and leave it at that? (I'm Using Beersmith)
Thanks.

The hop utilization is wrong, so stick with the recipe and just divide it up as equally as you can. You can adjust the next batch. I usually target 120 IBU on Rager b

Brewed this up today. OG was a little low (1.078. I think my final volume was a little high but my mash temp was a little low at 147. We'll see, time to better label my kettle volumes. Should still be good.

I just made a 10 gallon batch of this yesterday. It all but maxed out my system. OG was a little low at 1.080 'cause I forgot so account for smaller sparge on a big beer, It should still come in around 9% though. It's definitely ALLOT of hops.
I changed a couple things, pilsner malt w/protien rest and us-05. Bubblin' away right now, I can't wait!

By the way, Has anyone noticed the price of Amarillo and Simcoe?? My LHBS charged me $2.75 an oz. because they were being charged more for them , which I thought was absurd, so I checked on online and that wasn't too bad...? It cost me about $35.00 for hops for this beer. Good thing I got my grain in a group buy
that only cost me about .70 cents per LB.

Kegged this last weekend. Tried it tonight. Still young , but good. Needs a little more sweetness (mashed too low temp). But I'm happy with it. Finished at 1.013 from 1.078. Hop flavor is very close.

Got grain bill today for this, with a little help. LOL

brewday.jpg

Guy at Beer Crazy asked me what I was making, told him 90. He said I was the third person to get that bill today, he wanted to know what everyone was brewing.

brew2enjoy said:
Drinking a fresh 90 minute on tap right now. Makes me want to brew this again.

I've been waiting on the new crop of Amarillo to come in. That hop makes this beer for me so I can't do it with substandard quality Amarillo.

Wasn't keen on doing a clone, but I haven't enjoyed the 90 minute in a while. This shall be a fun brew!

I thought this beer used a lot of hops till I brewed a 10 gallon batch of Pliny The Elder and Heady Topper. (harvested the conan yeast from a heady as well) I recommend anyone who likes this recipe to try and brew the Pliny clone it was amazing! I also buy my hops by the lb. 20 bucks for a lb of Simcoe or Amarillo. get them in bulk when you can cause they always start running out. get freshest ones you can get. I know a few LHBS that get older years and repack them in small bags and sell them. beers just dont turn out as good...

bluemoose said:
Anybody else have a hard time getting this to carb in the keg?

I've heard that hops can cause east dormancy and there are a ton of hops In this beer. Also, if you have beer dry hopped for a long time, the yeast can just drop out. In short, I'd pitch a small amount of fresh, healthy yeast to see if that works for your carbing issues.

brewski09 said:
I've heard that hops can cause east dormancy and there are a ton of hops In this beer. Also, if you have beer dry hopped for a long time, the yeast can just drop out. In short, I'd pitch a small amount of fresh, healthy yeast to see if that works for your carbing issues.

Yeast shouldn't matter with keg carbing.

brewski09 said:
Assumed you naturally carbed in the keg and co2 dispensed

Nah, but I'm wondering if I need to carb at a higher level ( vol of co2). Problem is the other beer on the system will be way overcarbed.

I wanted to try this recipe but use the BIAB method. Do you think it's possible if I only have a 8 gallon kettle?

Assumed you naturally carbed in the keg and co2 dispensed
I naturally carb. I also was having trouble getting this up to carb levels last time. Seems like it took a month until it was OK. Not sure why. I naturally carb and then put it on CO2.

JMass said:
I naturally carb. I also was having trouble getting this up to carb levels last time. Seems like it took a month until it was OK. Not sure why. I naturally carb and then put it on CO2.

Good to know for next time.

I did this as a BIAB in a 15 gallon kettle and had very little room. I think the only way you could do it with an 8 gallon is if you sparge after the mash to reach your preboil volume. I also came up with a really poor efficiency, I think around 64% if i remember correctly, which sounds like it's a pretty common problem on large grain bill BIAB's. Next time i would add more 2-row and have some DME standing by just in case. Good luck!

Back