Anyone use a worthog?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm acquiring pieces and parts to start all-grain brewing--I'm going to convert some big round coolers into mash/lauter tuns but I wanna do it cheaply. I saw the design for the worthog on another forum (which shall go nameless because this one is WAY better ;) ) and I think I can probably do one cheaper than this but my only quandry is if I can get all food grade parts. I am mainly concerned with the spigots. In your experinces do you think I would be better off just going with the worthog or should I do the legwork myself?

Usually when I start projects like this I end up spending near the amount I would have spent just buying the original product (DOH!), but I enjoy fabbing up my own improvements on designs.

Discuss...

I think you could probably make it cheaper. morebeer.com has a lot of the parts you need. If you use a Gott cooler (probably others too), you can just unscrew the existing plastic tap and then stick a rubber stopper with a hole in it. Run a piece of tubing through the hole and then attach the spigot/valve. You can use copper to make the manifold at the bottom of the tun or something like CPVC. Lot's of options.

You could probably spend more making your own, too. It depends how many iterations of it you make ;) The worthog certainly doesn't look like a bad system. It looks very much like what I have (except in a keg, not a cooler). Good luck! :D

Over the past week, I got the Bazooka Screen and Kewler Kit made by Zymico from a local HBS and a brass ball valve from Lowe's. Also, I bought my 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler from Staples. All totaled, I think my new mash/lauter tun cost me $50-$60. The Bazooka screen was a little large for my cooler so I had to bend it around a bit to make it fit, but it seems to work. The thing is made from heavy duty stainless steel mesh, it's solid.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm going to pick up the 30 qt turkey fryer from Lowe's for $50, which should give me all the equipment I need to go to all-grain. Frankly, I'm surprised that some of these online HBS sites don't have an all-grain "upgrade" kit, containing all this stuff. I would have gladly paid $100 or so to save myself all the trouble of collecting these things.

ryser2k said:
Over the past week, I got the Bazooka Screen and Kewler Kit made by Zymico from a local HBS and a brass ball valve from Lowe's. Also, I bought my 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler from Staples. All totaled, I think my new mash/lauter tun cost me $50-$60. The Bazooka screen was a little large for my cooler so I had to bend it around a bit to make it fit, but it seems to work. The thing is made from heavy duty stainless steel mesh, it's solid.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm going to pick up the 30 qt turkey fryer from Lowe's for $50, which should give me all the equipment I need to go to all-grain. Frankly, I'm surprised that some of these online HBS sites don't have an all-grain "upgrade" kit, containing all this stuff. I would have gladly paid $100 or so to save myself all the trouble of collecting these things.

Actually some of the places do have what you'd call an upgrade kit for AG...here is one example for an All-grain system , Scroll about 1/3 of the way down....my local HBS has a similar kit too, but his prices are what are swaying me to try to do it on my own for less than half the price. I could do that 10 gallon deluxe system myself for less than 100 bucks.

That brass ball-valve you got from Lowes, do you think that is food grade useable? In my travels to find the equipment to duplicate the worthog I ran across those but I'm not sure its cool to use it for food purposes, as its a plumbing object. If it was stainless I would probably buy it.....

My big problem with preparign for AG right now is a brew pot. My current one isn't big enough to do a full boil so I'm on the prowl for a stinking 15.5 gallon keg that I can get cheap. No luck so far. :mad:

The upgrade kit I had in mind would also include a larger brewpot, but still, if they are going to charge you an arm and a leg for it, it's not worth it.

As for the ball valve, my local HBS guy told me to get it there. I can't imagine there being a problem with using it... although I plan to wash it well before the first use. Anyone else know of any problems with using a valve like this?

Anyway, I think they had stainless valves at Lowe's as well, but they are quite a jump in price.

rightwingnut found some big stainless kettles on ebay for really cheap. He made it sound like they were a recurring deal.

kegs.com sells kegs...dunno how much. A converted keg is a great kettle.

I'd avoid brass in fittings and go all stainless if you can, but that's just me. Cheers! :D

ryser2k said:
As for the ball valve, my local HBS guy told me to get it there. I can't imagine there being a problem with using it... although I plan to wash it well before the first use. Anyone else know of any problems with using a valve like this?

Anyway, I think they had stainless valves at Lowe's as well, but they are quite a jump in price.

I need to price check those at Lowes. If I can't stomach the SS valves I'll probably go with brass. I know you can remove the surface layer of lead in anything brass by cleaning the brass components in dishwashing detergent and then soaking the parts in a 2:1 mixture of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. I've done it before so I know it works, I am just still leary of that lead.
I wish I knew where the maker of the worthog got his valves. I haven't seen those anywhere, only the kewler kits.

Anyone who has a keg kettle--do you think 100 bucks for a converted keg kettle with a SS valve and a sightglass installed is reasonable or a rip-off? Should I go ahead and get one of these from my HBS?

Back