Brewing a 1.072 beer without aeration system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anico4704

Reaction score
Will I be ok brewing a 1.072 beer with draining the kettle into my fermenter splashing it in there, and then shaking the carboy up? I was thinking about buying an aeration system, but I don't generally brew beers this big, so I wanted to avoid it if possible.

You should be fine. That's what I do with all my brews, including many 1.065+. I pour vigorously though - there's quite a bit of foam there when its all transferred. Another option is a strainer; a good one is maybe $15.

Give it a good shake and you should be ok. If you do make the leap to better your fermentation, go with an oxygen system. Only real way to get the correct ppm.

You are probably okay but i like to pour the wort back and forth between two brewing buckets a few times, works great and is free.

I agree, I normally pour form one container to another about three times, while pouring as high above the container as possible to create a lot of aeration. It's super foamy when I'm done. Works great.

:off:I often wonder what people did before we started bottling and injecting O2 into our beers. I guess we probably didn't make too many of them? Are "big" beers a new-ish phenomenon In the beer world (so to speak?). I ask myself that question along a lot of similar type queries, like wort chillers, etc.

I am getting an O2 system myself for the record. They seem pretty affordable for how long they last, and how much you can potentially get. I find too often it is my mashing and temp control that really has improved my attenuation. I wouldn't toss money at an O2 system until I had perfected that first.

I let it drain from my bottling bucket into my primary bucket from the counter (roughly 3 feet). It's nice and foamy afterward and my fermentations usually start pretty quickly even without re-hydrating dry yeast.

Back