Don't try to stop me!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpurnick

Reaction score
Tomorrow morning I am going to rack my first beer to a secondary fermenter. I have heard both sides of the issue and believe in my heart that it really doesn’t matter if I do or I don‘t. The truth is that this is my first beer and I am going to rack the bastard.

Wish me luck.:rockin:

No splashing, no oxygenation.
I'm not about to try and talk you out of doing anything with your own beer.
Is there a reason you want to secondary?
I have been, by the way. But my next beer is not going to be, because I am learning, and I want to see the results I get without doing it. I started doing it due to the instructions that come with the kits, but the next one: primary, then bottles.
Good luck!
:mug:

Agreed. Go for it. It'll be good practice for you though. When you rack it, make sure to have the beer go in as smooth as possible. Don't let it splash.

Rack away...

I did that for my first brew. Now I have more fermenters than I can keep full, so I just let them sit.

Learn patience, it is the most important ingredient in brewing (after barley, hops, water, yeast and Star San), and buy more fermentors. Food grade plastic buckets are cheap.

BTW is there anyone who has ever experienced yeast autoylisis in the primary and what does it taste like.Crickets...chirp chirp...

Autolysis is not really a problem on the homebrew scale. If you are making 5 or 10 gallon batches (like most of us), you will never actually experience autolysis unless you let the beer sit in primary for more than 6 months.

Autolysis is not really a problem on the homebrew scale. If you are making 5 or 10 gallon batches (like most of us), you will never actually experience autolysis unless you let the beer sit in primary for more than 6 months.

my point exactly, I'm advocating primary only,...chirp....chirp....

I think that was alane1's point.

No splashing, no oxygenation.
I'm not about to try and talk you out of doing anything with your own beer.
Is there a reason you want to secondary?
I have been, by the way. But my next beer is not going to be, because I am learning, and I want to see the results I get without doing it. I started doing it due to the instructions that come with the kits, but the next one: primary, then bottles.
Good luck!

Just so I can I guess. I'm going to dry hop for a few days, then bottle.

IMO, this is the perfect opportunity to use as a learning tool, take good notes of the taste. After a couple more batches, brew this exact same beer. Only the second time, let it just sit on primary for a month, then package. Taste it and compare your original notes to the second batch and see what you get. I've never done this on the same beer, I would love to hear the results.

I rack to secondary all the time. It reduces the particulate matter in the batch and helps the brew clear. In any case, enjoy your beer.

why is everyone so against secondary's?? I secondary almost all of my beers. I like the clearing qualities as well as it is when I add other ingredients. how do you guys that only primary add secondary ingredients?

why is everyone so against secondary's?? I secondary almost all of my beers. I like the clearing qualities as well as it is when I add other ingredients. how do you guys that only primary add secondary ingredients?

Most people will tell you that they only secondary when adding other ingredients.

Most people will tell you that they only secondary when adding other ingredients.

well that makes sense then.. I agree there is not much point to secondary if you aren't adding anything.. cold crash and gelatin will take care of clearing.

I haven't added anything other than dry hopping and just do that in primary after 2 weeks. Another week and bottle. I get a very clear beer.

If it frees up a vessel for another beer, by all means use a secondary. I have many different containers that I can ferment in so I don't have any problems on that front.

The way that I understand it, racking to secondary is an infection risk that has little or no effect on taste. I think the assumption is that sanitation processes are weak at first, and become sloppy after time. So it's a practical recommendation to avoid it unless necessary.

That said, I have racked all my batches so far.

Somewhat related topic: I did the same thing, even though I know it was probably unnecessary. I was even more convinced it was unnecessary after racking because the beer looked so clear and clean when it made it to secondary. But the next morning, there was a considerable amount if sediment on the bottom of the secondary carboy. I can't help but think I will cut down on how much of that ends up in my bottles by having done the secondary. Am I nuts? Should I be adding some sort if filter around my autosiphon intake when I go from secondary to bottling bucket?

I haven't added anything other than dry hopping and just do that in primary after 2 weeks. Another week and bottle. I get a very clear beer.

If it frees up a vessel for another beer, by all means use a secondary. I have many different containers that I can ferment in so I don't have any problems on that front.

Yes.

I like IPA's, Pale Ale's and Bitters. The only additions I need do is dry hopping which seems to work just as well in primary as it would in secondary.

Also, the whole clearing effects bit makes no sense. More yeast and protein isn't going to fall out of suspension due to the yeast cake being gone. Whirlfloc and cold crash = clear beer.

As for the OP. Meh, do what you want, not sure why anyone else would care either way.

Rick

OMG your going to kill 1,000,000 baby kittens by racking to the secondary.....:eek:

I don't like cats so rack away and have fun....:rockin:

I've done it 2 times when adding stuff after fermentation other than that I leave it in primary and cold crash to clear it up.

Somewhat related topic: I did the same thing, even though I know it was probably unnecessary. I was even more convinced it was unnecessary after racking because the beer looked so clear and clean when it made it to secondary. But the next morning, there was a considerable amount if sediment on the bottom of the secondary carboy. I can't help but think I will cut down on how much of that ends up in my bottles by having done the secondary. Am I nuts? Should I be adding some sort if filter around my autosiphon intake when I go from secondary to bottling bucket?

I put a nylon hop bag over my racking cane, works like a charm!

That was helpful.

Actually using the search function is about the most help you could get. You don't have just one thread of reply's, you have several, plus any articles that have been written on the subject will be listed.

So, with that in mind, you're welcome.

Rick

Every forum has rules. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_rules_regulations

13. No use of "Google it", or "Try Searching". If a question has been answered before, answer it again or with nicety provide a link rather than copying/pasting content from elsewhere on the forum. Berating or poking fun at "noobs" for not searching will not be allowed.

We are visitors & contributors :)

and now I'm gonna get all deadhead/hippy :fro:

Welcome to the Forum ericbw!

RJ

As a rule I dont secondary but Im feeling adventurous. Next brew not only am Im going to secondary, Im going to tertiary! Rack and roll forever man! :rockin:

Tomorrow morning I am going to rack my first beer to a secondary fermenter. I have heard both sides of the issue and believe in my heart that it really doesn’t matter if I do or I don‘t. The truth is that this is my first beer and I am going to rack the bastard.

Wish me luck.:rockin:

You're wasting your time. Go ahead and do it if you want, but the majority rule these days is that secondary fermentation is just a marketing ploy to get people to buy more carboys etc. I've done it both ways, and I think it clears up just fine in a primary only state. and I've also found less chance of oxidation. It's really only necessary if you play to add oak chips, fruit, dry hop, or whatever other flavors. If you're just doing a normal beer without any specialty aging, why waste your time?

:confused:The deed is done, the beer has been racked and tucked away in a dark place. I feel dirty, I must go shower.

No need to feel dirty. I've racked all (20 or so) of my batches to secondary, always good IMO , I have a batch and I think I'm going to throw in the towel and dry hop in the primary. Mostly out of laziness. I figure less cleaning and I'll save on starsan..

Why?

You do know there's a search function, right?

Rick

no need to be a prick ....I can see if someone was to start up a new thread on cold crashing. I added to the OP's question, then asked a simple question and you had to be a prick. No problem,it's all good

no need to be a prick ....I can see if someone was to start up a new thread on cold crashing. I added to the OP's question, then asked a simple question and you had to be a prick. No problem,it's all good

When these guys get that way, I just chalk it up to too much testosterone in one room at one time. We need more female brewers to even up the score. ;)

Latest posts

Back