Boudin casings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzAnnie

Reaction score
Hello, I usually hang out in the wine forum, because I never scrolled down far enought to see this section. I love making boudin. I use natural hog casings and they end up splitting before they are done cooking. Did I soak them too long, @ 15 minutes in warm water? Is there a better casing to use so that they won't split? The best boudin I have had was at Coop's Place, in New Orleans, before Katrina. I want to say that they boiled them and grilled them. Theirs did not split and the casing was crisp and not greasy, but, for lack of a better word, dewey? Anyone have any suggestions? Stupid question-can you use chitterlings? I just don't want to keep making this beautiful boudin and end up having to make boudin balls or pattys because the casings keep splitting. Thanks a bunch. Oh, if I wanted to smoke it, what casings would be the best for that? Thanks again...I am off to the wine forum! -Annie

Hmmm, I never thought that I was overstuffing them. You might be on to something. I use the sausage attachment on my kitchen aide and sometimes it is a little awkward. Thank you.

Did you use the little bit of vinegar in the water you soaked them in? If you stuffed them too much they'll split. Although if I stuff sausage that much, they usually split when not cooked. Did you put tiny holes in the casing before cooking them to let the extra juices out?

I've always soaked casings for at least 12 hours.

I think I go with a 30-60 minute soak in water treated with vinegar. The vinegar makes them much more pliable. I also rinse them out really well first (of the salt). I'd have to check the recipe book (yeah, I have a sausage recipe book) to see which I follow. I need to look up something to use some ground chuck in. :D I have some other beef in the freezer that I could grind up too. Just need to get some extra fat to toss in to make them not too dry.

I soak hog casings overnight in vinegar. First, I run cider vinegar through them (not easy, but you'll figure it out). The acidic vinegar makes them more pliable.

Before you cook them, use a toothpick to poke holes along the length of each one of them. There is a lot of juice in boudin and that will cause the sausage to expand a lot. The holes let the juices boil and leave the sausage without it exploding.

Here's a video of my son a friend stuffing boudin blanc into hog casings. Seems like I just posted this link a week ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
passedpawn said:
Here's a video of my son a friend stuffing boudin blanc into hog casings. Seems like I just posted this link a week ago.

I seem to recall you posting it recently too. :drunk:

IME, running cider vinegar seems like extreme over-kill. I've had great results with even just a 30-60 minute soak in the vinegar treated water (1 tablespoon per cup of water). I don't think your 12 hour soak does anything after the initial ~60 minutes. It would be interesting to do a side-by-side test with both time frames though. :D

I seem to recall you posting it recently too. :drunk:

IME, running cider vinegar seems like extreme over-kill. I've had great results with even just a 30-60 minute soak in the vinegar treated water (1 tablespoon per cup of water). I don't think your 12 hour soak does anything after the initial ~60 minutes. It would be interesting to do a side-by-side test with both time frames though. :D

Yea, you might be right. No idea. But it keeps working, so I'm reluctant to change it.

Yea, you might be right. No idea. But it keeps working, so I'm reluctant to change it.

Come on, be brave... Next batch, do up half the casings the shorter method and see what happens. Or even enough to just make a half dozen links. :D You could shave a full 12 hours off your prep time that way. :D

Come on, be brave... Next batch, do up half the casings the shorter method and see what happens. Or even enough to just make a half dozen links. :D You could shave a full 12 hours off your prep time that way. :D

It's no extra time. Calendar, yes, labor, no. Next batch should be italian. Or hot dogs if I get ambitious, but I don't have the casings for those I don't think.

I just soak my casings in warm water, for maybe an hour or so, then I re-rinse and run warm water through them before stuffing. I don't treat the soak water with vinegar, although I do use a bit of vinegar blended into the stuffing sometimes, along with the water.

This past Sunday I did a batch that was half Italian, and half chorizo. The chorizo came out amazingly tasty. I might have to write down what I did for that one. The Italian sausages are very good, too, but nothing that completely blows me away. However, I have come up with a few ideas to improve the recipe for my next batch.

I just soak my casings in warm water, for maybe an hour or so, then I re-rinse and run warm water through them before stuffing. I don't treat the soak water with vinegar, although I do use a bit of vinegar blended into the stuffing sometimes, along with the water.

This past Sunday I did a batch that was half Italian, and half chorizo. The chorizo came out amazingly tasty. I might have to write down what I did for that one. The Italian sausages are very good, too, but nothing that completely blows me away. However, I have come up with a few ideas to improve the recipe for my next batch.

I'd love to see your chorizo recipe. Been considering that for a while. Maybe open a new thread in here.

Thank you all, I am going to use the pin prick method, next week when we have boudin for dinner. If that works then I will be making more. Just reading aout Chorizo, is making my mouth water. I like the course ground, so I never put it in casings. I use it instead of hamburger in everything but hamburgers. I love that stuff!!! Maybe I'll try putting it in casings and smoke it the next time I make pemmican. Mmmm, I am so hungry, now!

Back