Question about pasteurizing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oter

Reaction score
When I am bottle carbing before pasteurization, I will need to open a bottle to check for carb levels. Can I just re-cap that bottle and pasteurize it or do I have to drink it right away?
The reason I am asking is because I am just making gallon for thanksgiving and would rather not waste a bottle.

You can recap it quickly and save most of the carbonation. Obviously it will be a little less sparkling than the others.

Would it make a difference if i purge the headspace with co2 before recapping?

The headspace should be filled with co2 anyway. If you are pouring some of the cider out to check for bubbles in a glass then yes, you should purge with co2. However, pouring out and checking like that will oxidize the cider. Not sure if its as big a deal as with beer but I'd still avoid it if possible.

So bottom line, if you aren't pouring it out, just recap, don't worry about co2.

use a plastic soda bottle for a tester. You don't have to take the top off, when it get rock hard time to pasteurize the batch.

Back