keeping the mash temp constant single vessle biab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePonchoKid

Reaction score
A sleeping bag was suggested as the easiest and most accessible way to keep mash temps close to constant. But I can imagine it could be clumsy too affix to the kettle. Is there anything a little more neat and tidy, and cheap to keep those temps steady for an hour or so?

A sleeping bag was suggested as the easiest and most accessible way to keep mash temps close to constant. But I can imagine it could be clumsy too affix to the kettle. Is there anything a little more neat and tidy, and cheap to keep those temps steady for an hour or so?

I use a towel, or a blanket.
Losing a degree is no big deal.

Actually, when I BIAB, I stir the pot every so often, and may add a bit of heat to compensate.

I use a towel, or a blanket.
Losing a degree is no big deal.

Actually, when I BIAB, I stir the pot every so often, and may add a bit of heat to compensate.

Is it common to add heat? It seems that many people prefer to leave it. As if adding heat were a detriment to the purity of the brew, or something.

>>Is it common to add heat? It seems that many people prefer to leave it. As if adding heat were a detriment to the purity of the brew, or something.

When brewing in a bag I will stir occasionally. If using a traditional cooler/mash tun it would be harder to increase temperature periodically.

I used old hoodies and an old winter jacket, ss kettle held temperature like a champ, I was suprised.
I got an old fleece jacket that fits around my urn. I close the zipper and put the hood onto the lid, wrap the arms over it too. Works just fine.

I had an extra insulated water heater blanket that I cut to fit. But you MUST remove it IF you fire up the heat again.

Do not ask how I know this.

I use moving blankets. I wrap one around the bottom and top, then one around the sides and keep them in place with a bungee cord.

Here in FL, I have found that during the summer I can actually maintain temps in the hot sun with JUST a towel over the top, where most of the heat would escape anyway. I did this last week and lost less than 1 degree in an hour mash.

Back