Weyermann Dark Wheat Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOH

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using some Weyermann Dark Wheat Malt in some upcoming brews (a couple of saisons and APAs for spring). I'm assuming that it is to regular wheat malt what Munich malt is to Pilsner, but would like some feedback from people who have used it before. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Be aware that Dark Wheat grain has very little diastatic power. It can't be used as a drop-in replacement for White or Red Wheat. Something to keep in mind when crafting your recipe.

I just ran across this thread because this weekend I'll be making a dunkelweizen using 60% Dark Wheat Malt (Weyermann). For what it's worth, BeerSmith lists the diastatic power as 50 and the Midwest Supplies lists it as 76. That's enough to self-convert, and significantly more than the 10 listed on the wiki page.

I couldn't find this number listed on the Weyermann website but it does say to use up to 70% in Bavarian-style Weizenbiers while the wiki lists the max as 20%.

I'm guessing the wiki should probably be updated.

Back