Polyclar and Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley-Davidson

Reaction score
Has anyone had good results using Polyclar for bottle conditioned beer?

The reason I'm asking is the product claims to remove both polyphenols and yeast from suspension. I just want to be sure it doesn't remove all the yeast.

I searched and found some positive feedback on Polyclar, but nothing that addresses any effect on carbonation.

I'd rather have hazy beer with bubbles than crystal clear flat beer.

Polyclar does not dissolve. It is actually tiny pieces of plastic that are "charged" and attract the floaty bits(yes, that is the technical term;) ) that are making beer cloudy. I used polyclar once and said I would never do it again. I had really crappy carbonation after bottle conditioning, just the problem you were thinking you would have.

loop

I had the same question about gelatin. I was told to slightly shake (turn upside down twice) every day for the first 7 days.
This would ensure the yeast stay in suspension so they could eat some sugar and carbonate the beer.
After one week, refrigerate them and leave for 2 weeks.
Results were crystal clear beer, and was carbonated

I had the same question about Sparkalloid which I was planning on using for my cider.

Worst case scenario, it doesn't carb, you add some carb tabs after 2 or 3 weeks, and make a mental note to add a packet of high-flocculation yeast at bottling time... just like the pro microbreweries do. :)

Thanks for the replies.

I'm starting to think I'll just live with some chill haze, seems like more work than I hoped.

Barley-Davidson said:
Thanks for the replies.

I'm starting to think I'll just live with some chill haze, seems like more work than I hoped.

Use isinglass. It's easy and it works. Just don't tell anyone there is fish guts in your beer.

Damn Squirrels said:
I had the same question about Sparkalloid which I was planning on using for my cider.

Worst case scenario, it doesn't carb, you add some carb tabs after 2 or 3 weeks, and make a mental note to add a packet of high-flocculation yeast at bottling time... just like the pro microbreweries do. :)

I used to use sparkolid all the time. It should leave enough yeast for carbonation. As with any fining charged to remove yeast, you may need a longer carb time. Actually, I can't remember whether sparkelloid is positive or negative charge.

Back