Green vs. Brown Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spie0092

Reaction score
Is there any advantage/disadvantage to green bottles vs. brown ones?

Have any of you used clear bottles before?

I have a stash of St. Pauli girl bottles I stole from a buddies house (his taste in beer is questionable, sorry John) and was just wondering if bottling in green will pose any disadvantages...

Thanks in advance!
beer.gif

Green is fine as long as you keep them out of the light. Truthfully the green and clear ones are pretty much identical when it comes to skunking as the wavelength predominantly responsible for skunking the beer is in the green portion of the spectrum. Blue is ever-so-slightly better, but not by much. Brown, as fife mentions, is the best we have. But the best practice for storage is cool and in the dark. I saw an experiment and might try it one day just to prove it to myself. The guy let a beer sit in a glass, in direct sunlight for 10 minutes and claims it is sufficient to skunk the beer to the point of detection.

So the long and short of it is, be extra careful to keep the beer in the dark with the green bottles.

zoebisch01 said:
I saw an experiment and might try it one day just to prove it to myself. The guy let a beer sit in a glass, in direct sunlight for 10 minutes and claims it is sufficient to skunk the beer to the point of detection.

That's kind of like the dog that sits with the milkbone on his nose. I really doubt I could do it. Talk about self control!!!!

spie,

I keep my bottled homebrew in my 'former pantry'
{very dark in there}
and use green glass former Bavarian bottles,
{Bavarian used to be $9.00 a 12 pack}.
I can see the ale level easily through the green glass.
Filling them is easy, they are however only 12 oz's.

The 22 oz brown bottles are difficult to see through.
The ale level sometimes can't be seen through the brown glass
till it overflows the bottle.
But this season I am planning on using a small light behind the bottle to make the ale more visible.
The 22 oz bottles may speed up my bottling.
I sure like bottled ale
and anything which makes bottling faster is welcome.
And I wonder if it may help the taste?

J. Knife

Back