Sharing homebrew illegal in Washington?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
I couldn't believe this when I read it in the newspaper today. Letter to the editor:

Home brew, wine meant for sharing
There is a law (RCW 66.28.140) in Washington state that disallows the sharing of homemade wine or beer outside of the home. As a home-brewer and community-oriented individual, I am upset and disappointed at this continued choice of our lawmakers. Home-brewing is a valued component of American heritage and Washington state's culture.

Home-brewers are found throughout this state and we love to share each other's concoctions and knowledge. Even more, we love to share our love of brewing with potential future brewers. The art of Northwest brewing is novel in that it builds community at home and worldwide. Home-brewing is also a great way to support local growers. Washington state produced 79 percent of the U.S. hop crop for 2008. The abolition of sharing home-brew will negatively impact the future of Washington beer and wine culture, tourism and consequently our economy.

A new law has been introduced in Olympia, Senate Bill 5060. This bill allows for the sharing of craft brew (not the selling) in regulated quantities. Contact your legislators and encourage them to support Washington community, creativity and culture. Pass Senate Bill 5060.

Ian Sahlberg
Snohomish

That's friggin' insane! I never even knew there was a law on the books like this! You can home brew beer and wine, but you can't let anyone else have some unless they come to your house to drink it.

I couldn't believe this when I read it in the newspaper today. Letter to the editor:

That's friggin' insane! I never even knew there was a law on the books like this! You can home brew beer and wine, but you can't let anyone else have some unless they come to your house to drink it.

Ask Conroe in Ut (who for the longest time didn't put where he lived in his profile) or those in Arhasas (I think) or anywhere else in the US, we have some pretty strange liquor ordinances......remember we are only a few decades away from Prohibition, and only 30 years away from when homebrewing was legalized nationally.

That is :drunk:.

But at least you can make the beer. State level Title 37 here only allows (up to) 200 gallons of Wine or Cider per year. No strong (High Point) beer.

City County Health regulates Low Point and they could care less. Thus, none of my beers have an ABV higher than 4%. Regardless of the OG and yeast AA. ;)

Washington Homebrewers Association - Home

here is a site that covers all of the weird Washington State Laws and the movement to make it legal to "share"

-Jason

Sweet! It passed and is going to the Gov's desk to be signed! If she signs, it I might have to send her a bottle or two.

Politicians don't have any problems with drinking things out of unmarked bottles sent by strangers, do they? :D

But at least you can make the beer. State level Title 37 here only allows (up to) 200 gallons of Wine or Cider per year. No strong (High Point) beer.
I recently read up on the liquor act of New Brunswick and was surprised to see we are allowed a total of 50 gallons, regardless of type.

At least I was pleased to see that it was fairly vague as to whether those 50 gallons were per-brewer or per-household -- "Oh.. those 49.5 gallons are my wifes... my 50 is over here.."

Back