Avery's Maharaja Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmeyers

Reaction score
I just bought a bottle of Avery's Imperial India Pale Ale, called The Maharaja. Has anybody had this before? I have never heard of an Imperial IPA. The label says that the OG was 1.092 I hope that it lives up to my expectations.:rockin:

What Walker said...they hop the crap out of them to stand up to the abv, and that requires a strong malty backbone to balance it out. I suck at describing flavors, and even in my own consciousness it's kind of a Homer-esque "mmm...good" or "blleahh...bad" when I try beer, wine, etc. When I was young I thought 'red', 'blue', and 'purple' were actual flavors, as opposed to cherry, blueberry, or grape. Too much Kool-aid, I guess.

I haven't had the Majarajah yet, but Avery prides theirselves on their hoppiness, and their IPA is pretty hoppy, so I'd expect the rajah to be way over the top.

I need to try this beer. It is kind of tough to find here...avery has just started distributing here and I think I have seen it in one package store (in all of Atlanta!). But, I have been hesitant because I just haven't been too impressed by many IIPAs recently, most are way too sweet and hard for me to drink. I prefer the IIPAs that are all hops...IMO a lot of IIPAs are getting to close to overly hopped barleywines (like DFH 90).

There are a couple other threads about Maharaja on this board for reviews. It is a spring/summer beer for them and they are out, local stores here in CO are out now too, some buddies of mine bought the last 1.5 cases from the last store that had it....you are probably SOL until the spring.

I don't really like it all that much, IMHO Avery uses a lot of noble hops, and it ends up with a very earthy hop flavor and aroma, I prefer more citrusy IPAs like Avery's normal IPA. They also had a new IPA at GABF called Gemini IPA which was pretty good, they said they are going to start packaging it soon.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/Beer-Ratings.asp?BeerID=79256

I've had Maharaja and while I like it, I agree that it could be better with some different hops. A 22 of that stuff and you're in for a fairly short night. :drunk:

Had it, thought it was pretty good, but there are others I would choose over it. Avery use Magnum, Crystal, Centennial and Simcoe hops in the Maharaja, not noble hops. Using a lot of noble or low alpha acid hop varieties would not work in an imperial IPA.

Yeah, I tasted it and it seemed floral and citrusy to me, not sure about the hops being all noble hops...

VERY good beer. I had a few at the GABF with Adam. I also took a 22 oz bottle of Avery Fourteen I won as an award for a competition Adam signed. In Denver I shared the bottle with him and he re-signed it. Cool!

100_0836 (600 x 450).jpg

and here is some guy I met, named Sam........

100_0821 (600 x 450).jpg

:rockin:

I've had The Maharaja from the 22 and on draft, and loved it in both cases. It was very hoppy with a good maltiness behind the hops, but not too sweet. Nice crisp, fruity flavor and plenty of bitterness. Didn't know it was a seasonal - you might want to keep in mind that the hop flavor may have diminished if it's been on the shelf for a few months.

I had Avery's The Kaiser Imperial Oktoberfest a couple weeks ago. Another wonderful beer!

I second The Kaiser. One of the best Oktoberfests I've had.

Beerrific, you can find a lot of Avery's brews at Sweetwater Package Store off Peachtree Industrial in Duluth. They have one of the best selections I've found. They just got Sam Adam's Imperial Pilsner in as well which is an outstanding brew, IMO.

nobes341 said:
I second The Kaiser. One of the best Oktoberfests I've had.

Beerrific, you can find a lot of Avery's brews at Sweetwater Package Store off Peachtree Industrial in Duluth. They have one of the best selections I've found. They just got Sam Adam's Imperial Pilsner in as well which is an outstanding brew, IMO.

Ah, I have never been there, I will have to check it out. Greens says that they have everything distributed in Georgia (might be covered in dust but they have it). I have seen it there but haven't gotten back to buy.

Well, I finally found a bottle. Didn't really like it too much. Too sweet, hard to drink. Oh well...

I really enjoy the Avery Maharaja. A little on the hoppy side but overall I think its a good beer. Just 1 will do ya.

If you want to go obscenely hoppy without all the malt, try Sam Adam's Imperial Pilsner. It's 10 bucks for a 4 pack and I die a little every time I buy one. I've gotten 3 so far and swear I'm going to keep a 4 pack for a few months, but it doesnt last. When it gets down to Redhook's Blonde and the Imperial Pilsner, the Pilsner wins every time. heh.

Beerrific said:
Well, I finally found a bottle. Didn't really like it too much. Too sweet, hard to drink. Oh well...
Watch for that layer of dust, especially on an IIPA. I had a Ska Brewing Decadence some time back that must have been sitting for months - it tasted like a decent Bitter, not an American IIPA at all. Try one again next year when you know it's fresh.

Had it, thought it was pretty good, but there are others I would choose over it. Avery use Magnum, Crystal, Centennial and Simcoe hops in the Maharaja, not noble hops. Using a lot of noble or low alpha acid hop varieties would not work in an imperial IPA.

Just curious, where did you read they used magnum? according to their site, they use Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial and Chinook.

*Edit. Realized that the magnum and such is from a different vintage...my bad

For anyone lookin to produce a clone, the avery site says its made with two-row, Victory and crystal 120L.

I am working for a miniature Maharaja, so here's hopin.

I had this for the first time last night. I thought it was an excellent brew, very hoppy nice malt to back it. Before that i had southern tiers hoppe an imperial pale ale, which was very good also. Couldn't drink anything more after thou's two.

Back