Any pipe smokers here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used to smoke cigars, but I am poor and they get expensive. I'm hoping I will enjoy the pipe just as much.

I just acquired a pipe. And I smoke it from time to time. I like it. I am presently seeking out tobaccos that I think I will like. Got a sampler pack on its way right now...

I used to. As far as less expensive, I want to say Captain Black in a white pouch was pretty good for cheap.

It was available at most grocery stores.

I have a local cigar shop that sells their own blends of tobacco and it's mighty tastey. I think they sell the stuff for like 3.50 per ounce, it last forever and is the best stuff I can get locally. I'm not a huge pipe smoker, but I know what I like. Have you checked around for local stores?

I'm primarily a cigar smoker, but I've delved into pipes and have a small pipe collection. A couple Savinellis, Petersons, and a church warden I love. I even have a couple clays that smoke surprisingly well. I worked in a high-end tobacco shop for a few years (one day a week) and got into blending my own pipe tobaccos from the bulk stuff. It was pretty cool to have customers come in and ask for my blend! The stores that sell bulk really all come from many of the same sources. One of the big ones is Lane. 1Q is one of their most popular blends and tobacconists call these blends whatever they make up. Lane makes a very aromatic one called BCA (straight black cavendish) which is delicious. I lean more towards the English blends. Dunhill 965 is good, but there's nothing like a fresh Dunhill Nightcap in my church warden!

I have a nice glass crack pipe. I don't use it much anymore, but I think it classes up the joint to have it around.

Sir Humpsalot said:
I used to smoke cigars, but I am poor and they get expensive. I'm hoping I will enjoy the pipe just as much.

I just acquired a pipe. And I smoke it from time to time. I like it. I am presently seeking out tobaccos that I think I will like. Got a sampler pack on its way right now...

I smoke Pipe's once in a while, I like McClelland Dark Star it is a very smooth taste and nice aroma. Give it a try I think I Payed 13.00 for my tin at a smokehouse here.

I too used to smoke only cigars but after getting a few pipes I relly fell in love with it. Pipes definatly need more care and attention to get a proper smoke but thats what I like about it so much, is being able to fiddle with it.

i've got a nice glass pipe, but i don't think it's ever seen tobacco ;)

i've smoked out of pipes, though, and it's quite pleasurable. makes me feel like O.W. Grant

12170677_002071440.jpg

:D

I do occasionally, they're great. Pipe smoke is also the only way I have ever been abe to blow mean smoke rings, I love bowing smoke rings - it entertains for hours.

i've got a donegal rockie. also have some smooth fancy italian urbino bowls. i ruined them all for tobacco with the green version....

Well, I've ordered a sampler pack of 5 different tobaccos from vtpipes.com. We'll see what I think.

Just curious, would anybody be up for a tobaccy and homebrew swap? I'm not exactly sure what the would entail, but it definitely sounds like an idea...

menschmaschine said:
I'm primarily a cigar smoker, but I've delved into pipes and have a small pipe collection. A couple Savinellis, Petersons, and a church warden I love. I even have a couple clays that smoke surprisingly well. I worked in a high-end tobacco shop for a few years (one day a week) and got into blending my own pipe tobaccos from the bulk stuff. It was pretty cool to have customers come in and ask for my blend! The stores that sell bulk really all come from many of the same sources. One of the big ones is Lane. 1Q is one of their most popular blends and tobacconists call these blends whatever they make up. Lane makes a very aromatic one called BCA (straight black cavendish) which is delicious. I lean more towards the English blends. Dunhill 965 is good, but there's nothing like a fresh Dunhill Nightcap in my church warden!

I heard nightcap was discontinued....

Maybe I'm nuts, but I'm thinking it'd be kinda cool to bring a guy from a pipe forum over here to talk about pipes to any and all interested parties, answer a bunch of newb questions, etc... and in exchange... send an HBT all-star over to a pipe forum to talk about home brewing.

Of course, I dunno if that wouldn't break forum rules or something, but I was just thinking it'd be a fun way to bring another angle to HBT. I dunno. Probably a dumb idea.

Sir Humpsalot said:
I heard nightcap was discontinued....

It's been a while since I bought it, but a quick google showed it for sale on many sites and one stated this:
"Here is a list of the Dunhill Tobacco's that have been discontinued
3 Year Matured
Aperitif
Durbar
Elizabethan
Standard Mixture Mild"

I've had the Elizabethan and the SMM... neither really jumped out at me, so no big loss. I'd be surprised if they discontinued Nightcap. That's almost as big a seller as 965.

I got pretty into pipe smoking there for a few years and learned a lot about it. Working in a tobacco shop part-time, I had access to all kinds of tobaccos and discounts on pipes. Here's a list of some of my favorite pipe tobaccos in no praticular order:
Dunhill 965
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe
Dunhill Nightcap
Dunhill Light Flake
McClelland Frog Morton and Frog Morton on the Town
McClelland Arcadia
Escudo Navy Deluxe
Lane 1Q
Lane BCA
Butera's Dark Stoved and Pelican
CAO Sweet Vanilla Honeydew
CAO Blue Note
Nat Sherman 509 and 314

As bad a rap as "environmental tobacco smoke" gets these days, smoke Lane BCA, CAO Sweet Vanilla Honeydew, or Nat Sherman 509, and non-smokers will actually WANT to breath your smoke!

uglygoat said:
i've got a donegal rockie. also have some smooth fancy italian urbino bowls. i ruined them all for tobacco with the green version....

Do you think that it would really ruin the bowl? I've done he same thing in a pinch before and I've always been carefull not to get the bowl to hot, I know the green burns hotter, so as not to damage the patima.
I've switched between the two and have not noticed any problems other than some slight tobacco flavors when using the green version. Nevertheless I try to stick with glass for the latter herb.

not damage the pipe. it just now has enough resin soaked into it that it has a hint of flavor from the wacky tobaccy. ;)

I have a pipe that I haven't smoked since college, and this thread has got me thinking about it again. SWMBO thanks you :)

I think i'd not worry about smokin some **** in a tobacco pipe, but I would NEVER smoke tobacco out of a **** glass pipe. Though when I was a kid, I ripped the filter off of a marlboro light and jambed it in a 18" waterb*ng and ripped a killer double. I thought it was cool, but then I heaved, bad. The point is, smoke pipes, but not tobacco, that sh|t will kill you...

5 Is Not Enough said:
I think i'd not worry about smokin some **** in a tobacco pipe, but I would NEVER smoke tobacco out of a **** glass pipe. Though when I was a kid, I ripped the filter off of a marlboro light and jambed it in a 18" waterb*ng and ripped a killer double. I thought it was cool, but then I heaved, bad. The point is, smoke pipes, but not tobacco, that sh|t will kill you...

What does a Marlboro have to do with tobacco? That's like basing your knowledge of cheese on Kraft Singles. Or saying you know all about beer because you've tried a Bud Light.

Sir Humpsalot said:
What does a Marlboro have to do with tobacco? That's like basing your knowledge of cheese on Kraft Singles. Or saying you know all about beer because you've tried a Bud Light.
Way to miss the point... BTW, i don't smoke.

5 Is Not Enough said:
Way to miss the point... BTW, i don't smoke.

My bad. Your point was that you THINK you would not worry about smoking dog feces (or is that human feces?) (or is there a 4 star tobacco I'm not aware of) in a tobacco pipe, but you would NEVER smoke tobacco out of a 4-star glass pipe.

I guess I did miss your point, because I'm just not able to follow what you're saying.

That we should smoke weed and not tobacco? Again, the logic doesn't follow from the experiences you've cited.

I don't mean to be a deek, but the language filter really makes it hard to understand slang. I ain't 'posed to it, mind ya, but it just doesn't work with the language filter. gnome sane?

Sir Humpsalot said:
My bad. Your point was that you THINK you would not worry about smoking dog feces (or is that human feces?) (or is there a 4 star tobacco I'm not aware of) in a tobacco pipe, but you would NEVER smoke tobacco out of a 4-star glass pipe.

I guess I did miss your point, because I'm just not able to follow what you're saying.

That we should smoke weed and not tobacco? Again, the logic doesn't follow from the experiences you've cited.

I don't mean to be a deek, but the language filter really makes it hard to understand slang. I ain't 'posed to it, mind ya, but it just doesn't work with the language filter. gnome sane?

In his defence I have smoked many different kinds of tobacco in a water pipe and the results are ussualy less than pleasant. Too much nicotine is absorbed in the body to quickly resulting in extream dizzyness and or nausea. Hops on the otherhand have no ill-effects and taste prety good.

dj_van_gilder said:
Hops on the otherhand have no ill-effects and taste prety good.
Man, me and my buddies were just talking about that the other day. We burned a piece of crystal and it smelled kind of weird. I wonder if you'd catch a buzz off of the *****in?

I just started into Pipe Smoking about 2-3 months ago.

So far i'm really enjoying it! I'm also in the same boat as the guy earlier, who buys it as a local blend form a tobacconist shop in town.

Barley-Davidson said:
I'm a cigar smoker who took up a pipe because you don't need to commit as much time as you do with a cigar.

Thats why i switched too, but if im ever out of the states i enjoy a good cuban every once in a while

Man, I miss smoking my pipes. SWMBO convinced me it would be hard to keep the kidlets from smoking if Dad does it.

My favorite blends are:a brand called Half-and-Half, (available at any drugstore), which is half burley and half bright. Burley makes massive clouds of smoke, and also has the highest nicotine content of just about any leaf.

And: a custom blend a local tobacconist created for me. Mix .25 parts Mild Turkish, .35 parts C. Latakia, .25 parts Light Ribbon Virginia, and .25 parts Black Cavendish unsweetened. This was my very, very, very favorite smoke.

My experience with cigars seemed that the more expensive the cigar was, the hotter and nastier it was.

I got a nice couple pipes in the mail today and one on the way from eBay...

First, my recent eBay win is a Tsuge.

d5b1_1.JPG

And then I got a couple cobs in the mail today and a Nording Fantasy Pipe which is tits!

DSC_2648.jpg

:ban: :mug:

I should get into this. I was a cig smoker for 10 years and just gave it up. Now I smoke cigars about once/twice a week. I don't want to get into a smoking habit, but a nice fun backyard in the summer thing would be nice. Right now I'm on Black & Milds (yeah - make fun of the poor guy who smokes mass production cigars).

I've been wanting to buy a pipe to check it out since I started the cigar thing - maybe I should give this a run.....

jezter6 said:
I should get into this. I was a cig smoker for 10 years and just gave it up. Now I smoke cigars about once/twice a week. I don't want to get into a smoking habit, but a nice fun backyard in the summer thing would be nice. Right now I'm on Black & Milds (yeah - make fun of the poor guy who smokes mass production cigars).

I've been wanting to buy a pipe to check it out since I started the cigar thing - maybe I should give this a run.....

If you like a smoke, then I think you should. Of course, quitting is better for your health (I can't abide myself promoting smoking without at least a little disclaimer, ya see?)

I smoked cigarettes for 8 years. After quitting, I gave myself a number of months to get unhooked, then started smoking an occasional cigar. Then it got expensive and I had troubles quitting, so I went to a pipe. Funny thing is I smoke my pipes every day, but last week there were two days when I was busy and the weather was cold, so I just didn't smoke. No withdrawal, no craving... I just didn't smoke.

Want to get into pipe smoking cheap? Two words for you: Missouri Meerschaum. They're cob pipes, you can pick them up for $5 a piece. Your local shop may have cheesy little $2 cob pipes, but the Missouri Meerschaums are actually full-size nice-looking cob pipes for not much more. Smoke them a bit, decide if you like it. Try a few different tobaccos.

Decent pipes like Stanwells, Petersons, etc can be had for $35 or so if you look around and they can last you forever if you take good care of them. $50-85 is the sweet spot though where you can find whatever pipe your heart desires. Though, like with anything, you can spend more... I still enjoy smoking out of cobs a lot though.

And good pipe tobacco is cheaper than cheap cigars.

+1 On the corncobs. Even among pipe aficionados they're a good pipe. (Don't bother with the filters though. I don't know who ever decided to put filters in pipes, but pipes aren't meant to have filters as you're not inhaling.) Try a cob with Half and Half for a good cheap smoke.

Mr Humps:

Can you give me a quick breakdown of the best $20-50 pipe brands? I'd like to swing by tonight and would be willing to have a good pipe even if it becomes more of a 'showpiece' than a routine smoker.

+2 on the cobs. My pipe collection is about 40 different pipes now and 4 of them are cobs which get smoked all the time. I like using them when trying different tobaccos.
I maintain a simple 7 day pipe rotation for when I'm smoking heavy. (Normally in winter)
I bought my first pipe at a Peterson's and it's still my favorite pipe to this day.

Nice Nordig by the way, Sir Humpsalot. I have a Tsuge as well with a bamboo stem. Very good pipes.

Hey jezter6. When checking out the pipes, find something that feels good in your hand. In my opinion something with a bent stem holds in my mouth better than a straight stem pipe.

I too, used to smoke cigs. After getting used to quality tobacco, a cig became the nastiest thing out there. I haven't smoked cigs for roughly 7 years now.

As far as some good blends to try.
Well, I'm a fan of McClelland. Frog Morton is one of my favorites.

jezter6 said:
Mr Humps:

Can you give me a quick breakdown of the best $20-50 pipe brands? I'd like to swing by tonight and would be willing to have a good pipe even if it becomes more of a 'showpiece' than a routine smoker.

I'd be glad to give you my thoughts on the matter!

Remember though, nice pipes are a luxury item. As a result, prices vary. Going online can save you 30% easily.

First off, pipes to avoid at all costs:

Plastic Pipes- My first pipe was a plastic-y thing that I paid $7 for. It was terrible. Sure, it let me smoke, but it wasn't enjoyable and cleaning it was a mess. These pipes often have a metal basket and a few internal parts to keep the plastic from melting. Totally not worth it. I'd smoke a cob for the rest of my life before I got sucked into one of these.

Glass Pipes- Are sold more for smoking other types of plants. Don't even think about it.

This leaves us with 4 other options which I will detail below...

First, to get them out of the way...
Calabash- Calabash is a gourd found in Africa (I think). They hollow it out, dry it, and turn it into a pipe. Sherlock Holmes smoked a calabash. They have those gorgeous exaggerated curves and look really neat, although sort of garish. You may decide you want one of these, maybe they really speak to you. Personally, I love the way they look, but can't imagine myself seriously smoking one. I know nothing as to their care or longevity. They are pretty unusual, to be honest.

Next...
Meerschaum- is a mineral/stone found underwater in the seas of the middle east, Turkey being the most notable. It's like limestone in that it's formed by dead sea creatures. The difference is that the stone is often a brilliant white color, takes a nice shine, and is easily carved. There's a lot of very extravagant and intricate Meerschaums out there. Like corncobs, meerschaum doesn't "ghost" very readily so it's a nice pipe for rotating different types of tobacco. Over time, the color starts to turn brown as the smoke/stuff leaches through the pipe. These effects can be very attractive and cool and is pretty much a desirable thing. They tend to run $80+ for good ones.

Next...
Corncobs- the best brand is Missouri Meerschaum and they cost about $5 each and as was already mentioned, are highly regarded even by pipe snobs as providing a great smoke. The thing is that a pipe will start to "ghost" after awhile, giving you the taste of whatever else has been smoked in it. That makes it tough to try new tobacs. So many people keep some fresh cobs around just to try out new things.

Finally...
Briar- Briar is a root of a shrub. They cut it up, drill it, and make pipes out of it. 98% of all pipes are briar. They are what you think of when you think of a pipe. The downsides of briar is that they "ghost" previous tobaccos that you've smoked, so most serious smokers have at least a few of them. Generally, you want to let them rest for a few days between smokes. So, in that sense, don't worry that you will outgrow a beginner pipe- you'll just add it to your rotation, if not so you can smoke more often, then so that you can smoke a different type of tobacco with it to avoid ghosting.

Dr Grabow is the cheapest of the cheap. They are available at Walgreens for about $20, however some of the nicer ones are indeed sold through Tobacco stores in the $30-range. While frowned upon by pipe snobs, all reports indicate that they smoke really darned well for the price.

A step up from Dr Grabow are "the real pipes". Peterson, Savinelli, and Stanwell, I believe, are the big three. Most of these will be around $50, though again, you can go on the internet and find specials for less money, or nicer more extravagant ones by those companies for more. Plenty of Peterson, Savinelli, and Stanwells are over $100.

Then there's the carvers... the guys who carve pipes and have made a name for themselves. Many of these carvers have a lesser range of pipes, basically either "seconds", or else more mass-produced pipes. Maybe they have cosmetic defects, less attractive grain in the briar, or whatever. These good pipe makers don't often sell bad-smoking pipes, so usually it's just something cosmetic. Generally, "rusticated" pipes (they look like the bark of a tree usually) are cheaper because they can hide any defect in the briar. On the other hand, some people really just like the look of rusticated pipes. Just because they can hide defects doesn't mean they are unattractive. You can also get sandblasted pipes which may look rusticated, or may just provide a dull matte finish. This also tends to hide defects and allows some pipe makers to "fill" defects with a sort of wood putty, not that this is done very often. And, of course, there is the highly polished (carnuba waxed) finish that shines and sparkles in the sun. It's just a personal preference, really, having little to no effect on how the pipe smokes.

So first off, pick a style of pipe that you like. Bent or straight? Apple? Brandy? Acorn? Billiard? Poker? Dublin? Freehand?. Just look around. Then find a finish that you like. Rusticated? Sandblasted? Polished?

Then go from there. Don't get too caught up in the brand. Just find one that speaks to you. The reddish one I have in the second picture is a Nording Fantasy Pipe ($75). I bought it because it's beautiful to my eyes, but many people say they don't smoke too well (though mine seems to be a good one). It is flanked by two Missouri Meerschaums ($5.10 each). The one in the top picture is a Tsuge, which is my favorite carver. His top of the line pipes, the ones I love, cost upwards of $500, but the one in the picture is in his lesser line of pipes and I got off eBay for $65, though sometimes you can find them for even less.

check out www.smokingpipes.com and also www.frenchyspipes.com Those are two highly regarded sellers that provide great pics to help you get a feel for what's out there.

Back