Practical uses for bad batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard

Reaction score
What do you do with a batch of beer that went bad? Just tip it down the sink? I was wondering if it's worth spreading around the garden, or if my lawn could benefit from it.

Or perhaps I could donate it to the local homeless shelter....:cross:

*shiver* Do NOT cook with bad beer. Trust me. Smoker...ok MAYBE.

It is supposed to be good for loosening corroded bolts, killing slugs, and some other things I can't remember.

Soulive said:
How bad is it? Can you at least cook with it?

It's somewhat drinkable. A dog would probably drink it.;) I suppose it could be cooked with. It's not infected or anything, I just bottled before it had finished fermenting so it's over carbonated and tastes a bit crappy.

cheezydemon said:
*shiver* Do NOT cook with bad beer. Trust me. Smoker...ok MAYBE.

It is supposed to be good for loosening corroded bolts, killing slugs, and some other things I can't remember.

depends on how bad. I've used infected batches in food before and it was grrrreat. The smoker is a great use---the last thing you'll notice is the touch of sourness from the beer.

Whatever you do, don't think it can be blended and magically become a "lambic" or any other "sour" ale. It really bothers me when people try that.

Do you composte?

A lot of gardners add a 6 of cheap beer in a sprayer to feed the composte pile.

Jerry Baker "America's Master Gardner" is a big advocate of it.

5 gallons would probably be good for a lawn. Google Jerry Baker and take a look at some of his concotions in gardening.

Hmmm...I'm thinking my lawn will get a boozing once the weather turns warmer...I don't compost, so the lawn could be the best use I have for it.

Richard said:
Hmmm...I'm thinking my lawn will get a boozing once the weather turns warmer...I don't compost, so the lawn could be the best use I have for it.

He talks about making tonics that include beer and cola for the lawn as spart of the spring clean up once the ground thaws.

But if you're going to hold onto the beer that long, taste it before you commit it to the lawn...You may be surprised in a few months, the beer may end up tasting great. Sometimes you got to leave beers alone for months if not years before they hit their peak....Think Barley wines...

You may be surprised.

Revvy said:
He talks about making tonics that include beer and cola for the lawn as spart of the spring clean up once the ground thaws.

But if you're going to hold onto the beer that long, taste it before you commit it to the lawn...You may be surprised in a few months, the beer may end up tasting great. Sometimes you got to leave beers alone for months if not years before they hit their peak....Think Barley wines...

You may be surprised.

Nah, I don't think so. The bottles are all way over-carbed. They gush when I open them. I'm surprised none have exploded.

I have only had one brew so far that I didn't really care for the taste of, the pigs seemed to really like it though.

I made a Chipotle Irish that was not good. Stuff gives me heartburn.
But I use it in stews and for steaming ribs in my oven (I know its a sin, but I don't have a smoker). Both benefit from the spicy beer.

Richard said:
What do you do with a batch of beer that went bad? Just tip it down the sink? I was wondering if it's worth spreading around the garden, or if my lawn could benefit from it.

Or perhaps I could donate it to the local homeless shelter....:cross:

I would start by defining what you mean by bad beer batch....sound like its in bottles and carbonated..maybe a BMBF in reverse? :drunk:

Cheers
BeerCanuck

JavaBeans said:
I made a Chipotle Irish that was not good. Stuff gives me heartburn.
But I use it in stews and for steaming ribs in my oven (I know its a sin, but I don't have a smoker). Both benefit from the spicy beer.

Oh that does sound good for cooking with... I'd love to have some. I use both beer and chipotles in my chilli. hmmm I wonder if it ever would be worth brewing up a small batch with leftover ingredients someday?

c.n.budz said:
You might want to carefully open and drain them before they do explode. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....

They've been sitting for several months already, so I think if they were going to explode they would have by now. I have them in my cooler anyway, so if they do explode it will be easy to clean up.

APendejo said:
You have dogs? Dogs like beer too.
AP

No dogs, just one cat. I doubt the cat would like it though. Plus he's probably a lightweight...I wouldn't want to give him a hangover.:drunk:

BeerCanuck said:
I would start by defining what you mean by bad beer batch....sound like its in bottles and carbonated..maybe a BMBF in reverse? :drunk:

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Yeah, something like that.:D

It's way over-carbonated, and has a sour taste - which I assume is from the over-carbonation.

Back