Add syrup to Beersmith 2.1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaJoe

Reaction score
I'm working on adding a recipe to Beersmith 2.1 and I've got a syrup that I use in my recipe.

When I test the syrup it shows 65 Brix. Any idea how I can convert that to a SG that I can use to create this new ingredient?

As an example when I look at the Honey ingredient it lists the SG as 1.035.

NinjaJoe said:
I'm working on adding a recipe to Beersmith 2.1 and I've got a syrup that I use in my recipe.

When I test the syrup it shows 65 Brix. Any idea how I can convert that to a SG that I can use to create this new ingredient?

As an example when I look at the Honey ingredient it lists the SG as 1.035.

I would use a brewing calculator to convert brix to specific gravity. For instance, BrewMath calculates 65 brix to be to be1.305 so. Calculators are available for android and iOS.

Hope this helps.

Mark

1.305 is about what I had calculated as well. What seems odd is 1.) Beersmith is showing the SG of Honey to be 1.035 and 2.) I can't seem to enter a SG higher than 1.046 for any adjunct or sugar.

1) When BeerSmith tells you honey is 1.035, it's giving you the potential sugar contribution of one pound of sugar in one gallon of water. The number of gravity points per pound per gallon (ppg) is a common way of describing that ingredient's contribution of sugars.

2) Because "pure" sugar's ppg is 1.046 and no other ingredient can add more sugars than that, BeerSmith prevents you from adding an ingredient's Potential higher than that.

NinjaJoe said:
So if it reads 65 Brix the PPG would be 1.026?

That I don't know, but you should be able to test for yourself: dissolve one ounce by weight of your syrup into one cup of water, then measure the Brix or SG.

That I don't know, but you should be able to test for yourself: dissolve one ounce by weight of your syrup into one cup of water, then measure the Brix or SG.

Thanks for the info!

I dissolved one ounce by weight of the syrup into one cup of water and it read 7 Brix.

One final question. Is it safe to assume that I can reduce it even further? Ie 1/4 ounce by weight dissolved in 1/4 cup of water?

I've got some other syrups I need to measure but I only have about 10 oz of them and would not rather lose 10% unless necessary.

Thanks again!

NinjaJoe said:
One final question. Is it safe to assume that I can reduce it even further? Ie 1/4 ounce by weight dissolved in 1/4 cup of water?

Yep, that should work, too. Just make sure you're scaling both amounts equally, and you should be good to go.

1) When BeerSmith tells you honey is 1.035, it's giving you the potential sugar contribution of one pound of sugar in one gallon of water. The number of gravity points per pound per gallon (ppg) is a common way of describing that ingredient's contribution of sugars.

This is not quite accurate. ppg gives the gravity contribution of 1 lb of the substance made up to 1 gallon by adding water. Taking 1 lb of the substance and adding 1 gallon of water will give you a low reading because you will have more than 1 gallon of solution.

2) Because "pure" sugar's ppg is 1.046 and no other ingredient can add more sugars than that, BeerSmith prevents you from adding an ingredient's Potential higher than that.
Just to nit pick. The ppg of sucrose (the most dense sugar) is 46 ppg which would give you a gravity of 1.046 when made up to 1 gallon.

As mentioned above, this will not be accurate because you will end up with more than 1 cup of solution.

Yep, that should work, too. Just make sure you're scaling both amounts equally, and you should be good to go.

Taking measurements with very small volumes is not a good idea because any small errors in the volumes/measurements will be multiplied when making a real batch with larger volumes.

-a.

Back