Siphon tubing help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingPrepper

Reaction score
Hey all,

3 weeks ago I brewed my second batch, a chocolate oatmeal stout. While I was cleaning I siphoned cleaner through my auto siphon and then I siphoned sanitizer through it and left it sitting in the bucket full of sanitizer with sanitizer in the tubing. When I cleaned up the sanitized bucket I noticed the tubing was coated inside with residue. My question is can I transfer to my bottling bucket through this tubing or is this residue containing bacteria?

You may have residue from your cleaner or sanitizer inside the tubing. What was your sanitizer and cleaner?
I never use cleaners for anything I cannot reach with my hands for removing any residues. I dismantle and rinse the siphoning equipment immediately after use. The tubing is hung to dry. The parts of the auto syphon are laid on a shelf to dry. At the time of the next use I sanitize with Starsan.
You may need to get new tubing if the film can't be cleaned out. Try getting a string through the tubing, using a weight, to pull a rag through. Like cleaning a gun barrel the primitive way.

I used oxyclean and starsan...I prolly will buy new tubing but I was hoping I wouldn't have to. I won't ever let anything sit in my tubing again.

I let my tubing sit in star san and it gets a weird film on it I still use it and have had nothing bad so far. But if you have doubt buy new tubing its very cheep. They say to replace it every three months if you brew a lot anyway

I think the acid sanitizer breaks down vinyl, leaving that nasty slime. I made this mistake once and threw out the tubing. I don't need vinyl sludge beasts in my beer.

I too have a film and I use iodophor. It doesn't matter if I soak it a week or 20 minutes I still get the film. I have had no complaints about my beer so I don't trip anymore.

It sat in star san and yeah it left a nasty looking film. I just got back from Lowes I figured better safe than sorry. I think it prolly would've been fine but let it sit for days with the dirty star san in it. If it was totally clean maybe not as big a deal.

Back