What's in your fermenter(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Citra Pale Ale that morphed into a Session Citra Pale after having taken about a gallon and a half too much from the runnings.

Our second 5-gallon batch of Lil Sparky's Nut Brown.

I really need some more fermenters.
IPA
Pale ale
Oatmeal stout
Bourbon barrel porter
Dry hopped apple
Pomegranate blueberry cider

I HAD a belgian trippel in the fermenter until it went BOOM! A wee bit too vigorous yeast activity and the the polycarbonate carboy exploded. the AIrlock was found some 30 feet away from the sticky mess. I am very sad

On the bright side of things, we sampled the Pumpkin, bourbon and spiced rum brews. I was surprised how mellow the bourbon was. the pumpkin will be drinkable for Thanksgiving and the Rum was still quite harsh. I will revisit the rum at Christmas. If still not ready, I will put it into storage for next Thanksgiving

eyebike said:
I HAD a belgian trippel in the fermenter until it went BOOM! A wee bit too vigorous yeast activity and the the polycarbonate carboy exploded. the AIrlock was found some 30 feet away from the sticky mess. I am very sad

On the bright side of things, we sampled the Pumpkin, bourbon and spiced rum brews. I was surprised how mellow the bourbon was. the pumpkin will be drinkable for Thanksgiving and the Rum was still quite harsh. I will revisit the rum at Christmas. If still not ready, I will put it into storage for next Thanksgiving

Photos??

8182212560_0766de4e8c.jpg

5 gallons of punkin ale
5 gallons of an Elderberry experiment (rightfully named "Your Mother Was a Hamster")

Tonight I will add 5 gallons of an Apple Cider
and Sunday will be a 5 gallon Milk stout

Holy crap! And here I thought that was one of the selling points for plastic fermenters!

I just brewed a brown something or other. As my signature says, it was supposed to be a Tumbler clone, or at least something resembling at least a first cousin. I think it might turn out to be more like "the guy that lives up the street" in likeness. Oh well, at least my abortive starter took hold and is happily munching away on sugars.

Hoping to find time to brew up a... I dunno, 'nother CDA, maybe, before Christmas.

I just bought a 8 gallon bucket so head room will not be an issue again
It was going to be a good brew. the tasting before I put in the yeast was wonderful.

Primary:

5 gallons of Cherry Saison with Brett
5 gallons of Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter
5 gallons of Irish Imperial Red
6 gallons of fresh pressed cider

Secondary:

5 gallons of Peaches & Cream Belgian Tripel
5 gallons of Gulden Draak

10 gallon White House porter (single variable test of liquid yeast w/ starter vs dry yeast in each 5 gallon) (split between 3 people)
5 gallon White House ale (split between 3 people)
5 gallon milk stout that will get secondaried in whiskey barrel with vanilla beans soaking in bourbon (for me)

Next week bottling the White House brews and making 5 gallons pale ale (for me) and 5 gallons DIPA (for my friend)

Okay, I guess the Obama beers will have to go on my list. I'm finding more & more people who are brewing them. Must be halfway decent.

Right now I've got two gallons of Oaked Vanilla Bourbon Dubbel (which I'm still trying to find a name for), and one gallon of a cider experiment.

Secondary - RIS
Primary - barleywine
In a few hours, another primary will have a brown porter in it...! Gotta love brew day..!!

6 gallons of strong bock in the primary.
6 gallons of hard cider in the secondary.
5 gallons of blueberry port that's been aging since July.
And a gallon of onion wine I'm making for cooking. :)

I have three on tap, stone IPA clone, sam adams clone, and old ale. In the carboys i have off kilter scotch ale and dennys imperial bourbon vanilla porter, i also have white wine and cranberry wine in fermenters.

Okay, I guess the Obama beers will have to go on my list. I'm finding more & more people who are brewing them. Must be halfway decent.

So, funny story:

I brewed the White House honey ale this weekend. Normally I wouldn't make a beer like this; my standard styles are ESBs, brown ales, porters, etc. However, SWMBO tends to prefer the lighter stuff and she doesn't hassle me about my hobby so I try to make a batch that she'll like every occasionally. So I go down to the LHBS to get my supplies, and while I'm checking out I ask the guy at the counter whether he or any of the others at the shop have tried an AG version of the White House recipes. The guy gets a really disgusted look on his face and says, "Those are two beers I'll NEVER brew. Why would anyone want to do that?" And then he gave me this look like I obviously have no taste in beer or I wouldn't have even asked the question.

I mean, I tend to agree that the recipes posted by the White House aren't anything special--those guys (and yes, I'm assuming that they were probably a bunch of youngish male staffers who got the idea to do this) clearly don't have a really serious brewer among them. However, with a little tweaking I'm sure they could be OK. I got the distinct feeling that he was so disgusted by the thought of brewing White House beers, not because of the recipes themselves but because of who had brewed them. I would think he would be encouraging people to try the recipe, albeit modified perhaps, as a way to drum up more business. Anyway, it was kind of an awkward exchange.

Anyway, I don't much care. SWMBO will like it and that's the only reason I'm making it.

I feel like its more because any idiot who doesnt really brew but supports obama has flooded his shop tonask about how hey can drink the same stuff as the president.

Let me clarify before this gets trolled, im not calling obama supporters idiots, just talking about people who know nothing about brewing beer and dont really care about anything other than making this recipe because the white house has released it

It's a good possibility. And yes, I didn't plan to turn this thread political either, so apologies to those on both sides of the fence. It just struck me as funny--I've been in that store literally dozens of times over the past year and a half, know a couple of the guys by name, and I didn't expect him to react with such disdain the way that he did. But whatever--like I said, I ain't making it for him, so I don't much care what he thinks about it!

As to whether it's worthwhile to brew these recipes or not, I can't say since this is my first go at it. But I'll report results in two months or so--SWMBO wants to break it open on Inauguration Day so that's what I'm shooting for.

Since I started brewing with a friend, I have been really bad at keeping my signature lines up to date. Here's what's underway right now.

Primary
1 - DoppleBock
2 - Cherrywood smoked maple rauchbier
3 - 80 IBU Black IPA
4 - Kolsch-style Pacific Gem Vienna SMaSH

Secondary
1 - Black Bochet Braggot

Bottled and Conditioning
1 - Irish Red
2. ESB

Bottled and Drinking
1. Double Cream Chocolate Stout
2. 80IBU Black IPA

Kegged and Drinking
1. Blackstrap Molasses Porter

Right now,

Primary: White House honey ale
Secondary: Spiced Christmas ale

Auxiliary fermenters: 10 gal. hard(ening) cider

I need to brew again this weekend--I've only got about 10 beers left of my primed-and-ready-to-go batches...yikes! But there are a couple that will be coming online within the next week or two, so things are looking OK, just a little tight in the meantime...

Kegged 5 gallons of Simcoe APA yesterday. Dumped apple cider and a lb of honey right back in carboy, on top of Notty yeast and some Simcoe hops. Might be interesting. Going like crazy today.
Kegging porter today.

Back