Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rafinus said:
Hi, could you post the external dimensions too? And if you have a good soul the thickness of the steel?

Thanks a lot...

I get 1.01 mm as the thickness of the metal. Not trying to be snarky here, but would the ID be 2x1.01 less than the OD?

..... My thinking on the dip tube was that it might get some of that precious wort out (without tipping) and provide some contact with copper. Am I delusional or did I pick up somewhere in all my lurking on the brewing forums that boiling wort likes, dare I say even benefits, from some contact with copper? Anyone else heard that?

I cool the wort to around 20*C (or less for lager/bottom fermenting yeast) remove the immersion wort chiller, and stir thoroughly to get a fast anti-clockwise rotation going. It is amazing how much solid material settles out in 30-60 minutes. I then start to drain the wort into my fermenter.

Very little solid matter remains suspended, and I allow it to drain down to the drain tap before I start to angle the unit forward. There is often less than 1L remaining in the bottom of the BM - depending on the weight/vol of hops used in the recipe. The unit weighs little enough to make this operation easy.

I had planned to make a dip-tube, but now I consider there to be no need. YMMV.

I have read that copper is an advantage in the distillation process. Unless I'm mistaken, most/all? commercial beermakers and micro-breweries appear to use stainless exclusively.

Good Luck with the first brews. :mug:

I´ve talk a lot with the head brewer of my online HBS (the one were I bougth the unit) and they are getting a lot of orders, specially for the 200l unit for small brewpubs. This machine it´s a beauty. Yambor44 I hope your 20l arrives soon. After using it I can pass a week without brewing: brew days are a breeze. I got to say I just love my braumestier

Any issues with running a water test with tap water anyone can think of? I have not set up a RO unit for brewing yet and would have to bring water from the kitchen RO with a 3 gallon tank.

Thanks!

what are you afraid of?? it's designed to hold/pump/heat water, with stuff dissolved in it. good to clean out the pump before using, mine certainly spit out some chunks of packing stuff and whatnot. i would just fill above the heat coil and run the heater and pump, without the malt tube

For you 20L owners, if you could only get either the insulation jacket or the copper hood, which helps better to keep a nice rolling boil? I'm going to be buying a 20L in a few months and am trying to budget for this purchase and would like to get one of those two accessories but am not sure which is more worth the money. Thanks for any insight!

I'd go with the insulated jacket over the copper hood. The jacket is about 1/3 the price and you'll use it during the entire process not just the boil phase. If you need to you can always put the lid on half way to keep a rolling boil.

Granted you can always make your own jacket with a 10 dollar camping mat, but your system will look pretty silly with a beautiful copper hood and a janky, ghetto homemade insulated jacket. ;)

For you 20L owners, if you could only get either the insulation jacket or the copper hood, which helps better to keep a nice rolling boil? I'm going to be buying a 20L in a few months and am trying to budget for this purchase and would like to get one of those two accessories but am not sure which is more worth the money. Thanks for any insight!

Just get one of those $3.00 beach mats foam on the inside and reflective material on the other then cut it to suit that way you can get the copper hood as well ( you could even use a car window heat reflector) but the beach mat is better.

How tall is this unit? Nice job.

Well I got to use my new stand today for the first time. It was awesome! Even though I was just doing a 22L batch and I probably could have lifted the maltpipe easy enough, the winch made it super easy and also allows me to leave it raised higher than the kettle for a quick sparge and can remain there while I start the boil to get all the run off.

I also found a great use for it I wasn't expecting. During clean up it works great to swing the winch arm over the garden to hold it steady and at a good height while I hose it out. Nice.

BMstand09-1.jpg

Rocked my "bucket heater" in the last brew. Really helped ramp up the heat to boil and make it roaring. Used a coat hanger to make a hook to keep it from swimming.

heatstick.jpg

I´ve talk a lot with the head brewer of my online HBS (the one were I bougth the unit) and they are getting a lot of orders, specially for the 200l unit for small brewpubs. This machine it´s a beauty. Yambor44 I hope your 20l arrives soon. After using it I can pass a week without brewing: brew days are a breeze. I got to say I just love my braumestier

Didn't order it yet...;) Still waiting.... Just got done with a remodel so I have to save back up (meaning pay off some cards!!) :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
These are what I used to make an extension cord:

This on one end, this on the other end.

I had a disused light switch alongside a regular Decora duplex kitchen outlet which I rewired using a white Decora version of this.

Since the breaker is 20A and the wiring is 12/3 plus ground, this circuit can handle up to 4800w - more than adequate for either 20L or 50L Braumeisters. As an added bonus, I may use the socket for some European kitchen items.

It's a C19 connector, not a C13. Here's the one I bought rather than making my own:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KKCNXW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Robert

The 20 L is a c13, I even checked with Speidel.

Hi Jonathan,

thanks for your interest in our Braumeister.

Yes we use a common C13 at the control.
So you can look for the right power cord
in the USA

Cheers
Ralf Leukart

I ended up making a cord, before I decided to I did find these websites
http://www.customavrack.com/category/345-nema-locking-to-iec-power-cords.aspx
http://rackmountpdu.com/Category/101-30a-power-cords.aspx

Also, I did my first and I mean first ever brew today :D :ban:
IMAG0331.jpg

What gravity have you guys got with your double mashes, and has anyone tried to do a triple or a quadruple mash? I'm planing a humongous Imperial Stout (OG way over 1.100), all grain, no sugar or DME. Got one done with a 14-15% ABV by adding a wine yeast and feeding it with Dextrose and Muscovado sugar for to weeks. But it turned out too dry with an FG of 1.022. So my thought is to do a at least triple mash, and ferment it with the WLP San Diego Super Yeast.

... Got one done with a 14-15% ABV by adding a wine yeast and feeding it with Dextrose and Muscovado sugar for to weeks. But it turned out too dry with an FG of 1.022....

How about adding lactose? Apparently that doesn't ferment and thus adds to sweetness/body.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they made a lid for this that sealed so you could use this as a temp controlled fermenter....one stop pot. :)

I'm not sure I'd want to ferment in it. Too pretty and too expensive to relegate to a simple fermenter.

I would be interested in figuring out a way to attach a reflux or fractioning column to the copper hood. That way I could have complete distilling setup (mash tun, fermenters and still) all in a footprint equivalent to a traditional three tier setup.

I live in an apartment and don't have the best access to our 220/240 volt outlet. That's what our oven is plugged into, and I wouldn't want to have to drag that thing out everytime I want to brew. So would this Transformer/Converter work with my regular 110/120 volt outlets?

http://www.estoreoffer.com/3000-watt-voltage-transformer-step-updown-p-851.html

I would be getting the Braumeister 20L. Thanks!

I live in an apartment and don't have the best access to our 220/240 volt outlet. That's what our oven is plugged into, and I wouldn't want to have to drag that thing out everytime I want to brew. So would this Transformer/Converter work with my regular 110/120 volt outlets?

From the manual, the 20l Braümeister draws 10 A at 230V. That's roughly 2300 W, which should work with that particular transformer.

From the manual, the 20l Braümeister draws 10 A at 230V. That's roughly 2300 W, which should work with that particular transformer.

There is no way you would have enough power. Even if you have a 20 amp circuit, the maximum output power would be 2400 W from the circuit. You would be overloading your circuit and throwing your breaker all the time. If you don't believe me, ask your city electrical inspectors or the electrician at the Home Depot they will tell you the same thing.

A question to all you who have done double mashes. What efficiency have you gotten out of the total grain bill, and what was your SG after the first mash VS your pre boil gravity? I'm about to brew an Imperial Stout this weekend by doing a triple mash. The first grain bill will hold 13lbs plus all the speciality malts, which adds up to about 14.5lbs. And the last two rounds will be 13lbs base malt only.

A question to all you who have done double mashes. What efficiency have you gotten out of the total grain bill, and what was your SG after the first mash VS your pre boil gravity? I'm about to brew an Imperial Stout this weekend by doing a triple mash. The first grain bill will hold 13lbs plus all the speciality malts, which adds up to about 14.5lbs. And the last two rounds will be 13lbs base malt only.

Didn´t double mash yet but i will put my specialty malts in the last mash not the first.

I bought the following one at amazon... works great... no issues...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ITZTNO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

it is the LiteFuze LT series 5000w....

I really depends on what your a brewing being a RIS it can get a little more astringent, other styles color basicly and potencially astringency depending on your grain bill

I really depends on what your a brewing being a RIS it can get a little more astringent, other styles color basicly and potencially astringency depending on your grain bill

Yes that makes sense.

Another question that came to my mind when doing a double mash with the BM, is how it reacts when you mash in the second round. The wort will be in the 60C range, and the preset for mash in is set at 40C?

You can dough in at 60C with no problem or alternatively top up your wort of the first mash with cold water.

I had a little brain fart there. At first I was going to program the mash schedule as followed: Dough in at the preset 40C, first phase 64C / 60min, set the rest of the phases to zero, and then 78C mash out. My initial thought was to quit the program before mash out, replace the malt and start the program all over again.

Instead I'll do mash in at 40C, set one phase to 64C / 180min and 15min mash out at 78C. At every 60 min I'll just pause the program at pump break, do a quick sparge, replace the malt and continue.

That seems like a good game plan! Brew on and let us know how it goes :)

Let's see how my brew day goes and if manage to hit my pre boil gravity 1.117. Cut down the malt bill a bit because my refractometer scale only goes to 1.120 and I would at least like to have an idea of what my SG is before boil. I'm now going to mash 18.3kg grain with the total water amount being 48l for a 23l batch size. It's hard to predict mash efficiency on this kind of a project, but I set it to 55% in BrewMate. I can barely wait to get started tomorrow morning, it's gonna to be a loooong brew day. :)

i don't know if it helps your strategy but lately when i have done brews with a pretty full malt tube i have steeped the specialty grains separately as if doing an extract batch, just to minimize the amount of stuff in the malt tube. if you are worried about your dark grains getting a bit astringent in your quintuple mash you can always steep them in a bag at lower temp on the stovetop. the disadvantage of course is that this uses extra water, diluting the wort a little bit, but only a little bit

Latest posts

Back