Wyeast help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colledge

Reaction score
I made a batch today and activated my yeast at the beginning of my session. It was swollen by the end, and I ripped it open to pitch it but something in there was still sealed in something. I figured I had not properly opened everything so I cut it open and dumped it into my batch. Was that wrong? Didi I poor in something that I shouldn't have? Did my yeast get screwed up and I need to go get some again and do it again?

If it activated (i.e. had swollen), then the nutrient pack inside the foil pack must have burst and fed the yeast. How much did the outside package swell? Significantly? You shouldn't have needed to have cut anything.

Regardless, as long as you scissors were sanitised, you'll be fine. There's nothing in that smackpack that can't go it the fermenter; although, the wee plastic bag that the nutrient was in doesn't need to go in.

:mug:

Wyest used to put one big packet of yeast nutrient in their smack packs, but in the last 6-8 months or so they started putting two smaller ones. I'm sure the idea is it is better to have one packet burst than none if you don't burst both.

Anyway, you're fine. I'm sure you burst one of the packets and not the other, and it is perfectly OK to just dump the contents of that other yeast nutrient packet in there. It is basically just concentrated wort.

The little pack inside is the nutrient pack, you must've not broken it. No biggie, it's really just an insurance policy to get the yeast going. If they swelled on their own w/o the pack breaking, they're probably ready to go. FWIW, in the future, when using liquid yeasts, you should really make a starter.

Peace of mind. Yea it swelled. And it's fermenting away so I guess I'm good but I worked that pack good to make sure I broke everything in there. I was surprised when I had not.

Back