My yeast isnt working:(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woog11

Reaction score
I'm making a white muscadine wine. It's been in a carboy since wednesday 8/28/07. I'm using premier cuvee yeast.
My airlock hasnt bubbled yet, it raised the level in the lock only a bit. Now it is wanting to suck the water backwards, only a little though.
Ive used a nutrient. Nothing... Ive shaken it. Nothing...I syphoned into another carboy this morning to introduce some oxygen into the must to see what will happen. Maybe give it another 3 days with no agitation.
I am making this like a white wine, no hulls or seeds. Pressed straight into a carboy. HEEEELLLPPPPP... lol. s.g. 1.086... acidity 7.0...
Skip in AR...

Wow no activity since the end of June? Had the gravity changed? Maybe you just missed the airlock activity but I doubt it. Sounds like bad yeast. You should probably get new yeast and repitch. I don't know if sitting in the fermenter for 2 months is OK though.

I think my calender is broke as well. i meant 8/28/07... lol I'm sorry bout that beerdad. I edited it to the right date now, hopefully that will help some.

OK no prob that makes a lot more sense. Sounds like it's getting a slow start or maybe bad yeast. I started a wine last weekend using dry yeast and yeast nutrient and had nice activity in less than 24 hours. I would say give it a couple of more days then repitch. It shouldn't hurt to repitch now if you don't want to wait.

Thanks beerdad. . I believe i will do just that in the morning if i dont see any action. I would do it right now, but since i went through the trouble of a splashy racking this morning to help aerate, i'll give it a little more time.
I want to repitch so bad i cant stand it. I think i'm getting impatient, i like these things to go as planned.
Ive never had to re-pitch yeast before, i guess it'd be the same, dilute,mix and pitch? Although i have had to give a jug of concord a king kong shake before to start.

Repitching is OK can't hurt just a few bucks out of your wallet. I switched over to liquid yeast and do yeast starters now. Search the forum there is a lot of info on yeast starters. The good things about yeast starters is it lets you know you have a yeast problem before brew day and you multiply your yeast count for a faster more reliable fermentation. Good luck and enjoy!

I will definitely check on yeast starters. That would save me a few gray hairs. I have 2 daughters so i need all the help i can get,lol.. thanks for all the help.skip in ar...

Back