Foodie Movies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm sitting here watching the same movie for the umpteenth time, and it occurs to me I love foodie movies. Here are my 3 favorites (they just came to me, I could probably add to this list):

• Big Night
  • Julia & Julia
  • Ratatouille

Any other good ones I missed?

Here are two to try, depending on your tastes and sensibilities.

-- Eating Raoul.

-- The Cook, the thief, his wife and her lover.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is gonna sound strange but I think Godfather-I was a bit of a foodie movie (assuming you mean movies that foodies find attractive in part for the food ... not just movies about cooking) ... not the main theme, but every few scenes it seemed there was food or drink even if it was only on the table.

There's one I saw a couple years ago about a woman who kept making up recipes for pies based on her mood or whatever. Some of those pies looked really good, too...

EDIT: Ah it's called Waitress

A couple more.

Chef: Cute movie. Recommended for mixed crowd. Kid friendly. John Favreau is a fun actor.

Burnt: Some serious tension getting the dishes right, waiting for Michelin ratings nazis to show up. 3 best parts: Alicia Vikander makes an unexpected appearance (love), Bradley Cooper trying to sous vide his own head (awesome, he says turn that thing on), you can choose the 3rd.

GoodFellas could also qualify to in a way. They are always eating or talking about getting something to eat. Then Ray Liotta has to make the meatballs and sauce before the big drug deal. They even get the best food in jail and slice the garlic thin with a razor blade to put in the sauce, to have with their pasta and wine.

John

Waiting (I guess more about restaurant industry)

Slammin Salmon (same sort as above)

A good year (more about wine then food)

Burnt

Chef

A blast from threads past!

I have a few more to add:

Babette's Feast
If that doesn't make you want to eat fancy French food, you're broken.

Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay, 1080 Brussels
Watching Delphine Seyrig meticulously prepare meals (peel potatoes, make veal cutlets, meatloaf, etc.) is an interesting experience. Criterion even had a video recipe contest a couple of years back based on this movie, judged by the director.
You can watch her making veal cutlets (from the movie) here:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih3nBxjkBH8[/ame]

Jiro Dreams of Sushi
The man really, really cares about the food. I have tried to book reservations there several times but the list gets filled up a month in advance and the dates almost never coincide with my travel there.

Somm
All about the crazy preparation people go through to become a Master Sommelier.

Also the Netflix Series Chef's Table is fantastic.

A blast from threads past!

My threads are timeless. That is, I'll keep posting to them regardless of other's interest.

url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1772925/]Jiro Dreams of Sushi[/url]

I had a carte blanche trip to Japan for 3 weeks back in the day. Wish I had known. I spent serious coin.

Loved Tortilla Soup and Big Night.....No Reservations and Chef were both decent and Waitress was a cute little movie....some of the pies do sound awesome.

Today's Special is also a good movie....

I know there are others that I can't recall at the moment....so only adding one to the growing list right now.

I haven't seen any of those mentioned yet, but one I do remember is "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs". So good, they made a sequel!

(I actually have a craving for spaghetti and meatballs now...)

Anybody see Chocolat? I loved this movie! Kinda romantic. With Valentines day tomorrow, I'll throw in a couple of suggestions that might be good if you've got romance on your mind:

Chocolat (Johnny Delp)
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=692hOJq1KJE[/ame]

Moonstruck (starring two of the best actors ever, Cher and Nic Cage - laugh, but it's better than you think). Lots of pizza / italian food
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M01_2CKL6PU[/ame]

My 30th anniversary is tomorrow. Woot.

A couple more.

Chef: Cute movie. Recommended for mixed crowd. Kid friendly. John Favreau is a fun actor.

Burnt: Some serious tension getting the dishes right, waiting for Michelin ratings nazis to show up. 3 best parts: Alicia Vikander makes an unexpected appearance (love), Bradley Cooper trying to sous vide his own head (awesome, he says turn that thing on), you can choose the 3rd.

I thought Chef was a really good and sweet movie. And hey, John Leguizamo is always funny... It was less about the food than the about life of the cook, but it all came together really well.

I didn't like Burnt much at all. I thought it was an overly pretentious movie and think the writing far underwhelmed what should have been a tremendous cast.

Happy 30th Andrew! :mug:

John

Thanks John. Wife and I spent the day down in Sarasota. If you haven't walked around the Ringling Mansion and the circus museum, give it a try. Lots of stuff to see, much more than I thought. Had dinner on St. Armands circle at the Columbian (nowhere near the experience of the Ybor Columbian, but still a fine evening).

That's a really nice day! The wife and I did the same awhile back. Your right there is a lot more to see than I thought too!

John

Another +1 for these being fun, light-hearted movies about food to watch-
Chef
No Reservations
Hundred Foot Journey

Netflix users, check out "Chef's Table". It's more documentary style about the top restaurants in the world and how the chef's got there. It's pretty interesting, they have huge egos, and the videography/photography is fantastic. It's neat to see that most of the chef's will intern at a fancy michelin french restaurant, and then return to their home culture food to make their signature restaurants. Hours of preparation go into a small bite, some of the food looks incredible, and I'd love to try a few dishes; however, there are a number of dishes that also look like art sculptures that don't seem like they'd taste as nice. Having eaten at a few of the restaurants, it's certainly interesting to see that side of the chef's.

Jeremiah Tower: The Last Magnificent

Wife and I saw this in the theater. Documentary. Michelin 3-star chef fails at life, basically. But very memorable for me. Guy's a megalomaniac, but fun to watch him tapdance and try to put out fires, especially at NYC Tavern-on-the-green.

I recently read an article about a spanish (or french?) chef who gave back his Michelin 3-star award. Said he couldn't take the pressure. Watch this movie and you'll see.

Not so much inspiration from movies for me, but my wife and I became hooked on some of the weekend cooking shows on PBS. Especially now that the weather's too crappy to do much outdoors. Simply Ming (fusing Asian with what ever his guest chefs do, plus he's always making some cool cocktails). New Scandinavian Cooking. Also Rick Bayless for Mexican. America's Test Kitchen, mainly for the reviews of ingredients and gadgets. Like I need more gadgets around here...

Saw the movie "Mostly Martha" a couple weeks ago ... cute, German, romantic comedy (I know - that sounds completely contradictory). Story about a workaholic female chef. Much food in the story. *Great* movie for a food-night-in, with the wife.

Back