Rootbeer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
So I thought it'd be fun to make a keg of rootbeer and picked up a bottle of extract.

the instructions, of course, are vague and don't specify table sugar or corn sugar. and I've seen a little info about adding other adjunts like malto-dextrin to add body.

I have 3 corny kegs so I thought I'd just keg it and force carb.

any good resources on this site, or ones you'd recommend elsewhere?

Don't have a particularly good reference but it's dead simple.

add 4-5 pounds of sugar (cane sugar) and pop it in the keg.
Carbonate as with beer but at 30 lbs. I think it takes about 30 ft. of hose to actually balance the system but I just use 10 ft.

Also, rootbeer is a very strong flavor. It will stay in your hose forever. Use dedicated lines. Your faucet can be cleaned but I just use a cobra tap.

I really like zatarain's root beer but gnome and sprechers (sp?) seem to have a lot of followers too.

I also replace 1# of sugar with honey just for a little different taste.

Zatarain's makes wonderful rootbeer floats.

BYO actually did an article on this some time ago (year or two ago?). IIRC they suggested that most root beer producers prefer cane sugar over corn sugar. Apparently it lends a smoother, creamier taste.

If you don't have access to the article, I can scan it for you when I am in the office again.

My wife and I have been in a root beer float kick lately. I'm really excited about finally getting my CO2 tank so that I can dedicate one of my corny's to root beer. I'm pretty sure I'm going to give the gnome brand of extract a shot first.

i use the rainbow brand, i think? whatever they sold at austinhomebrew.

for root beer, i would use the extract, heat up some water, add 2# cane sugar, and 2# dark brown sugar, 1 tsp of vanilla, and a half pound of malto dextrin. this is a recipe i got from someone else, and most everyone likes it. give it a try.

Latest posts

Back