Effect of leaving grain bag in boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earl_Grey

Reaction score
I recently brewed a bock and the directions had me put the grain bag in and keep it in until the instant boil was achieved and then to remove the bag. Looking at other people it seems they steep at 159 or so and never higher. How will this affect taste?

I've not tried it, but from what I've read steeping at near boiling temperatures will extract tannin and other astringent chemicals from the grain husks.

Possibly mouth-puckering astringency. Like sucking on a wet tea bag. But, give it a sample when you have a chance - maybe you'll be ok.

B

the worry here would be (as the others said) tannins. taste it when you do your gravity readings. nothing to do now but wait. try not to worry too much. it may very well come out just fine.

I confess, the first brew i did that wasn't Mr. Beer was an extract kit with steeping grains. Not knowing anything about brewing yet, and before reading every book, i left steeping grains in for the entire boil. Truth be told, i didn't notice anything horrible about the beer. It was a Trappist style beer with a ton of dark and crystal malts. I didn't detect much astringency, however i was very forgiving for my first 5gal batch.

If you already did it, there's no turning back. Follow it through and don't get too worried about it.

although a lot of the directions I have read with kits aren't the optium way to brew (according to brewers on here) ... I dont think following them will give you something "bad" per say ... I'm sure it will be great.

Back