Carboy Relocation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleRainbow

Reaction score
Im planning on moving here in the next few months and im not sure if its ok to transport my full 5 gallon carboys. Its quite a long trip from Michigan to Seattle and it will take more than few days. Im worried about the temperature change in the uhaul and the bouncing around. Any suggestions would be a great help. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

just make sure nothing knocks the airlocks out of the bottle, and you should be ok. moving will rattle the sludge around, but no problem after the fermentation ends

Heh, good luck! I personally would rather leave them with someone who's staying in the area, family or someone, and then come back to bottle them on your next vacation back. Or just give them away. Or dump them to keep the carboys. Or bottle early.

I wouldn't move full carboys cross-country, but I wish you the best!

I'd bottle them if they were worth saving, and transport them that way. Transporting full carboys cross country in cold weather sounds like a huge PITA.

You say you're moving in "a few months" so I see no reason for you to not have enough time to bottle your beer.

Back