Iodaphor + Tap water = ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jevehn

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've got a question regarding mixing no rinse sanitizers with tap water. I've tried to search it out, but I haven't had much luck finding an answer.

The water in my area is very hard and treated with chloramines, and I know not to use it for brewing. I have been using it for cleaning though, including mixing iodaphor for sanitizing. I usually fill my carboy, ad the iodaphor, let it sit for 5 min, then rack to a stainless steel pot and wallpaper tray to sanitize the rest of my gear. Anything left gets hit with a spray bottle (distilled+iodaphor).

My big questing is if I'm going to have any problem with residual chlorine/chloramine being left in the carboy after sanitizing? The last thing I want is 5 gallons of bandaid ale!

Should I be mixing 1/2 a crushed campden tablet in with the sanitization water to eliminate any free chlorine/chloramine? If so, how long to wait before using? Will mixing the two cause any issues?

I have Chloramines in my water and have not had any issues with Iodaphor. As long as you drain the carboy you should have almost nothing left inside.

you'll be fine. i've made beer with tap water that contains chloramines (which don't just boil off) and never had any off flavors in my finished brew.

really, its sanitizing with bleach solution and not rinsing well enough that can get you a medicinal off taste.

Back