Wow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewertodd

Reaction score
So, I started my holiday beer two days ago. Got it in the fermenter. This year, I decided to do a starter, as this is a big beer, (1.100) using a blend of two yeasts. So, I gave it 24 hours, shaking it every time I walked by. By brew day, I had quite the collection of yeast. I pitched it and put it away, with a blowoff tube hooked up, I was afraid and being cautious. Within six hours , holy crap!! They were going nuts! I actually had to switch my blowoff tube from a gallon milk jug to a 5 gallon bucket! Well, 36 hours later, I decided to change the water in the blowoff, because of the smell, (didn't bother me, but the wife doesn't like it), I dumped the bucket, and to my disbelief, there was like an inch thick yeast cake! Is that normal? I'm assuming that just means that the yeast was so active, some if it just flowed out the blowoff. Any advice on this? Also, I plan on washing this and storing if the beer turns out well. Thanks for any help.

homebrewertodd said:
So, I started my holiday beer two days ago. Got it in the fermenter. This year, I decided to do a starter, as this is a big beer, (1.100) using a blend of two yeasts. So, I gave it 24 hours, shaking it every time I walked by. By brew day, I had quite the collection of yeast. I pitched it and put it away, with a blowoff tube hooked up, I was afraid and being cautious. Within six hours , holy crap!! They were going nuts! I actually had to switch my blowoff tube from a gallon milk jug to a 5 gallon bucket! Well, 36 hours later, I decided to change the water in the blowoff, because of the smell, (didn't bother me, but the wife doesn't like it), I dumped the bucket, and to my disbelief, there was like an inch thick yeast cake! Is that normal? I'm assuming that just means that the yeast was so active, some if it just flowed out the blowoff. Any advice on this? Also, I plan on washing this and storing if the beer turns out well. Thanks for any help.

The yeast in the blowoff bucket probably wasn't in the most sanitary conditions. Id discard it.

Reading that back, that sounds like I'm going to keep the yeast in the blowoff. Sorry. I already got rid of that, I was talking about the yeast in the fermenter. Seems to be really good, active yeast. But, my question still needs answered, is this normal/acceptable? I have never had a batch take off like this before

That happens to me quite often, especially when I use 1056 American Ale yeast. I pitch big starters at high krausen or pitch on top of the yeast cake. It takes off within three hours and goes absolutely bonkers. One time the half gallon growler I use with the blowoff tube was actually shaking from the force of the blowoff.

Yes, this can be normal and nothing to worry about. In addition you blended two yeasts with a starter!

As for your comment about washing and storing I would possibly think twice although someone else may chime in differently. Because you blended two yeasts there is the possibility that one out performed the other and there may also be mutations that occurred, not necessarily a bad thing but I think the predictability of any batch to follow may prove to be very off from the original beer and may also possibly lead to a wild yeast issue, just my .02..............:mug:

Was I not supposed to blend yeasts? Or was I not supposed to blend yeasts with a starter? Or both? Lol. Sorry, starters and blending yeasts are new to me. I followed the advise of the guy who works at the lhbs, and is a brewer at the local brewery. Because they didn't have the strain I wanted. I needed wlp 545. He told me to blend white labs rapist and wlp500.

WLP500 is Chimay's yeast, this is a beastly Trappist yeast.
Did you blend this with another yeast from one of the other Trappist breweries?

You have a very aggressive Belgium yeast now; I would defiantly save it and follow up with a Triple.
After a few generations it may change a bit, whatever strain is the strongest will likely out breed the other.

I'll have to get back to you on this, but I think one was named just trappist, not sure of the number from white labs, and the other says Belgium I think, but the number is wlp500.

That's the shaker! You can see crud just poured out. There was a lot of yeast in that one!

image-2706795078.jpg

ok, got the right info. The wlp500 is the trappist. The other is wlp550 Belgium. Is that a good combo? The guy told me it would give me the spicy notes that the wlp545 strong Belgium did. Not sure if it will, or if he just told me that because he wanted the sale because he was out of the Belgium strong ale.

No he was right. Wlp550 and Wyeast 3522 are the Achouffe yeast which give dominant spicy phenolics versus wlp500 and Wyeast 1214 from Chimay which procure a strong fruity ester character.

If you like a blend you could also try wlp575 which is a great Belgian yeast blend of 500, 550, 530 (Chimay,, Achouffe, and Westmalle), an awesome blend I can attest too.

Great! I'll write that down and see what I can come up with. I also want to see what I can do with the blend I've got now.

Just an update, 8 days in and still getting activity! I have never had this much visible activity through the airlock before. This yeast is incredible!

Back