Late addition of bittering hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadga

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

So I brewed a strong imperial stout where I didn't add enough bittering hops. Would it be plausible to boil hops for 60 minutes in some amount of water to get the bittering profile, and thren add that after the boil?

Absolutely

I made what was supposed to be a Blind Pig clone, but ended up fermenting in the low 50's due to a cold snap, and we didn't account for the ibu loss due to hop bags... so we ended up with something closer to a Cal Common. Boiled up an ounce or so of EKG in a few quarts of water for 20 min and added straight back to the fermenter, definitely added the hop flavor and aroma that we were looking for, haven't noticed any off-flavors as of yet, though unless you add a little dme or sugar, yeah, you'll be diluting your wort a bit. But I would absolutely say this is a nice way to add some fresh hop flavor to an aged brew.

keep in mind that you'll have to deal with an extraction efficiency vs. dilution battle. In other words, boiling your hops in a larger amount of water will give you better iso-acid extraction, but it will come at the price of diluting your wort.

Yeah i thought about the dilution factor, but didn't think it'd a huge deal. I figure i'll just use a few quarts of water and a bit of DME. Thanks for the input guys.

Back