What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomSD said:
Patiently waiting for the bubbles to start in the Patersbier I brewed last night. :D

Mmmmm, patersbier. Man I should make that beer again. In other news I bottled a 3 month old wheat tripplebock that's been lagering in primary.

image-1783445805.jpg

Fresh!!

went to the LHBS store to pick up some oak chips, told him what I'm making about bought a vanilla bean instead of using vanilla extract based on the guys advice. I lost my wallet this past weekend so I'm using my credit card instead of debit. Bought ingredients for an IPA instead of taking the hit of spending less than $10 on my credit card.

I just finished kegging a 10 gallon batch of a Rye IPA. Decided I'm going to save the yeast washing till tomorrow.

I just gave a local fellow member a couple boxes with nearly enough shorties/stubbies for a 5 gallon batch. Also in one box I included about half a 144ct bag of gold caps & a blow off jug (.5G vodka jug).
Does that count??***boy,what a rush. No sooner did I post this,then a big gust of wind,& the power went out for a short time!

Helped a fellow homebrewer pick out a temp controller for his "Ghetto" ferm chamber.

And I plan to prepare for an after work brewing session coming up. Maybe tonight since the snowfall has canceled school and dance functions for the kids and they SHOULD have the household chores done already.

I think the mash rest will be enough time to run the snowblower!

oh, and I need to finish etching the PWM board and maybe build most of another board tonight (need to find some 500K pots)

I sniffed the airlock of the Cream Stout that started bubbling yesterday.

I pulled one of the Ambers I just bottled on Friday (my first batch) out of the box and considered opening it. Decided against it even though the pull of the force is strong.

I gave two craft brewers some business. Ithaca Beer Co. Caskazilla and Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter. I am appreciateing their contributions to the Beer Universe.

Bottled an extract wheat, and did my final preperations for my first all grain batch later this week. I also finally stooped stressing about not being able to get my beers under a fg of 0.020 (12 extract brews, one went under 0.020, what the **** - different beer types, yeasts, ferment temps, added extract at different times of the boil, etc). Of course, if this all grain doesn't get to a decent fg I'm going to be more than pissed.

Currently attempting to kick the keg of apfelwein so I can put my IPA on tap. This brewing stuff is hard work I tell ya.

Yesterday I added gelatiin to my wee heavy, and finished the last pint or so that was in the keg of my blonde ale to make room for today's work.

Today I cleaned 6 kegs using my sump pump CIP system and transferred my IIIPA into one that I had sanitized, replaced all the o-rings on and lubed up. Then I stuck it in the kegerator to cold crash, and will be adding some gelatin to that one tomorrow.

My milk stout is still bubbling away contentedly.

I'll be making a clean bucket of PBW to soak some newly empltied bottles. Waiting for our brewing ingedients to come in for this weekend.

Off the beaten track a little today, my ginger beer plant arrived, so I got that all set up and bubbling away, fingers crossed nothing explodes. Its an insane way to brew - get fermentation started, bottle as fermentation starts really kicking in, let it ferment in the bottles and quickly throw them in the fridge before they explode.

Today I watched my starter grow. Did my first yeast washing a few days ago and used it to make a starter. Been sitting on the stir plate for about 30 hours now. This morning when I left for work the mixture was very cloudy and I couldn't even see any swirling going on. Tonight, the top layer of liquid is clearing and the bottom of the 2000ml flask is exploding with new yeast. It's awesome!

Showed my SWMBO's ex mother in law the brew closet showing her the carboy working away. She has decided to join me for the next brew session.

Took some trub out of the fermenter... smelled like bread. So I let it sit... after 15 minutes my last beer was a punch of cinnamon. Slight sweet and wonderful.... thank you yeast!

My brother and I bottled 5 gallons each of Ginger Ale and a Black Hook Porter clone. Went perfectly!

Brewed an all Centennial hopped IPA. Rinsed the yeast from a batch I kegged Tuesday and pitched that into it.

Built both an immersion chiller and a counter flow chiller(found a great deal on copper),then started on a new HLT for my brew lab 2 ;-)
Last year this time I was almost finished with the first one but this one is going to be a little more advanced.

Probably nothing. Have to get ready to go to Kzoo tonight. Kid is competing for top scholarship at Western tomorrow and after we're meeting some friends for pizza and beer.

So maybe tomorrow I can salute beer.

409081_2633225875418_1398540221_32398614_702256586_n.jpg

Wyeast 3787. That was last night. This morning was rinsing off the flask, stir plate, and cooler. I need a bigger flask.

Last night:

Received my box of goodies from Bargainfittings.

The new white O rings look good. Tonight, all the SS bits will get an overnight soak in hot oxy water so I can redo my chiller connections and make my new long hose Saturday.

i blew more 02 into my artificially aged hops, checked the blowoff on a lambic and am sampling some beers tonight. I am also planning on getting drunk tonight- so there's that.

Im trying to contact a Craigslist poster who has 16 gallon food grade plastic barrels with the removeable tops. Im tired of worrying about whats happening on the underside of my closed top barrels I got from the Lhbs

250lbs of hops? Holy schnikeys!!! I cleaned 14 recently emptied bottles in rinse-PBW-rinse-dry cycle. gotta get the spigots outta the cleaned & rinsed FV's to get them & the mountin holes clean for a double brew weekend. But it's time for home brew tonight. WHY??? BECAUSE-IT'S-FRIIIIIDAY! FRIIIIDAY! FRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDAY! EL LONGO LONGO WEEKEND! THEY SPRAYED TO KILL THE MOSQUITOES. BUT INSTEAD THEY KILL OUR BEES! BUT WE CAN STILL EAT-OUR-HONEY! EYEAAAAAAAASAH!Here's one for the worlds only get down man,Mr Murray Saul! Who remembers him on WMMS,Cleveland?

What I didn't do today, buy 250 lbs of hops. What I did do today, transferred a Scotch Ale to secondary (only because I needed the room, don't want to start the debate). Bought 28 lbs of Marris Otter at the LHBS for a SMASH Barleywine I'm making tomorrow.
Replaced the blow off tube in my Oatmeal Stout with an airlock....Oh, and drank a bunch of Homebrew!!!! Oh, I installed my secondary CO2 regulator, 2nd tap on the kegerater also. Getting off work at 11:00 was great today.

Cheers :mug:

Just ordered a pound of whole leaf Ahtanum hops for fwh and bittering additions to my house pale ale recipe. I am also enjoying the Odell's Bourbon Barrel Stout I brought back from Colorado a few months back. It brings back memories of that day of the trip, hit up Odells, New Belgium, and Funkwerks, then Left Hand on the way back to my buddy's place in Boulder. Anyway, I am also doing research on yeast since I am trying to decide what yeast to use in my house pale ale. I will probably end up splitting batches until I decide. Right now I want to try San Diego super yeast, WLP 250 the Rebel Brewer strain, 1056, and Cry Havoc yeast. I did read that WLP 250 may be the same as Wyeast 1450 and if that's the case then I will probably not even try it in this recipe because while I do love 1450 and use it quite a bit its not what I want for a hoppy pale ale with citra as an aroma hops.

I consumed some craft beer and homebrew today. It's been a good day! Oh ya, I also spent some time on HBT.

Completed my first home-brew swap.

I have shared bottles with friends and family but I will finally get some experienced brewer feedback! I got a wit and a hefe for my brown ale and my SMaSH.

I'm not browsing, trying to figure out the right words to describe what I'm tasting......

mmmmm

Back