what to do with unused hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
can you just put them in a ziplock bag and toss em in the fridge? or should i freeze them or what.. got about .5 oz of two types that are left over.. not much.. but i dont want to waste them!

Yeah, you can freeze them. Just make sure that they are sealed up nice. I use a Foodsaver vac machine for mine.

this might be a dumb question, but do hops need to be refrigerated? i've always bought my kit and brewed on the same day, never noticing if the hops had been refrigerated.

The Alpha acids oxidize at room temperature and become less usable. The Beta acids oxidize and become more usable. In some hops, mainly the noble hops, the two rates balance out. There a couple hops that aren't normally used until they oxidize and turn brown.

If the hops are sealed and kept cool, they last for months. If frozen, for years.

Thanks. I left some Cascade, Perle, and Mt Hood hop pellets sitting at room temperature for about a week. Are they still usable? I have no problem buying more if needed.

I normally use all of my hope like bob said... BUT if your not a hoppy kind of person, then you can put them in a ziplock and put them in the fridge... Just make sure you try and squeeze most of the air out of the bag... I normally wrap them up in some cling nice and tight to help prevent the oxidation...

Back