Growing Hops / Wet Hop Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkwerksAddict

Reaction score
I'm reserving hop rhizomes this week and I'm trying to decide what variety of hops to plant. The recipe I'm thinking about making is a wet hop rye IPA (see below). Just wondering if anyone has attempted a wet hop rye beer before? I'm basically using a recipe that I already have and substituting the 2nd addition and finishing hop pellets for wet hops. Does this seem like a feasible/good recipe to be using?

Thanks!

Rye IPA (wet hop version)

Yield - 5 gal
OG 1.070
FG 1.016
IBU ~70

1/4 tsp calcium chloride
1/2 tsp gypsum

8.5 lbs 2-row
3 lbs wheat malt
2 lb rye malt
1 lb flaked rye
(? Rice Hulls to aid in lautering)
2 oz caramel 60L
2 oz victory malt

13 AAU Nugget (pellet, 60 min)
3 oz Nugget (wet, 30 min)
3 AAU Crystal (pellet, 15 min)
6 oz Chinook (wet, 5 min)
1 oz Amarillo (leaf, dry hop)
1 oz Summit (leaf, dry hop)

White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) Yeast

Mash at 150F in 17 qts for 45 min, sparge to 6 gal. and boil for 60 min. Ferment at 65F. Dry hop duration 7 days.

Its a little early to plan that recipe aint it? I harvested my first year cascades, 3 rhizomes in one hill 2 in another and got about 2-3 dried ounces out of them. I hope you do better than me but i am not looking for a nice haul for at least one more season.

the ambition is nice, but first year hauls are usually low. i planted crowns from great lakes hops and they did really well, but the cone production was still pretty modest. i would definitely recommend them to you for their excellent quality plants, great prices and fast shipping.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm basically only planning it now so that I make sure I buy the right rhizomes for it. Although its still a bit of overkill because its not like I couldn't find an equally compelling use for any high AA hop variety.

To be honest, just getting them to grow properly should feel like an accomplishment in-and-of itself.

Is that rye IPA a recipe you make frequently, or plan on making frequently? Hops are a bit of a time investment, and as the others have said, you won't get a bumper crop the first year. You will, however, start getting really good crops the second year or thereafter. Think about the types of beers you make most frequently, and plant the varieties that are most versatile for those beers. If there are other hop growers in your area, check with them about which varieties grow best in your area. Also keep in mind that the variety of rhizomes available is not as wide as the variety of processed hops.

As stated above, 1 st year harvest can be pretty low, even when you cultivate well. Pick out hops you like to brew with and those which grow well in your area. I'm in Chicagoland and I've had great success with Chinook and Cascades. Willimette, not so much.

Be advised though and don't plant distinct varieties too close together, they spread like crazy.

I've heard one should use between 4 to 6 times the amount of fresh hops than dry. Though I've never brewed this way, I would compare the weight of my fresh hops to dry, see how much mass they've lost and do the math to calc my fresh hop requirement for a given recipe.

My cascades did well in nc clay that i mixed with peat moss manure fertilizer and topsoil. I lost my nugget to root rot, i overwatered it

I'm a certifiable hop-head so cascade, nugget, centennial, chinook, etc. would all be very useful. From what I've read, most varieties do pretty well here in Colorado (we have pretty temperate summers most of the time and a lot of sunshine). I also have a friend who is planting 4 bines this year and I think he is doing cascade and a low alpha (saaz/tettnanger) so once we both get established were going to share harvests.

Latest posts

Back