steeping with propane burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokie373

Reaction score
Someone told me not to steep with my new propane burner bc it was hard to control the temp? Does anyone here steep with the burner? I do mostly small extract batches to this point in a 20qt pot on the stove , but got a burner for xmas. it's somewhat hard to move from the stove to where my burner will be so i was wondering if its possible to steep on the burner, or is it just to hard to maintain the proper temps?

You can definitely steep your grains with a propane burner. I did dozens of extract with steeping grain batches with my burner and never had a problem maintaining a constant temp. What type of burner do you have?

its a bass pro shops model , so i dont know the true manufacture of it , but it looks like your basic 58,000 btu turkey fryer , it would help so much if i could do this , bc then i could just get a long water hose to run to my wort chiller and not have to my batch at all until transferring to the fermentor for storage

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The LME or DME is already converted and the only issue you might have with the steeping grains is tannin extraction. You steep for color and some flavor profile.

Don't worry, just don't boil the grains! :eek:

Sure you can. Cover the pot with a lid, flame-out, and you'll steep the grains. Fire the burner on/off as needed.

Back