Extract easier for trash can brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I have brewed AG and now typically do a PM.

The cost would be more, but for a TON of session brew, I am thinking an extract or PM recipe would make brewing 25 gallons a snap.

Boil 5 gallons with your lb of hops or what have you, add 18 lbs of DME, maybe 3 lbs of sugar. Boil that 5 gallons, cool, pitch a BIG ASS starter, and top up to 25 gallons.

Why not?

Mash your tons of specialty grains in your usual mash tun, just get the main fermentables from DME.

I am stoked.;)

(Trash can fermenter in BYO as inspiration)

let us know how it turns out. i recommend buying the extract in bulk for north country

I have done it with a buddy, we took an extract recipe and to a ten gallon boil with something like thirty pounds of extract then top up to twenty five gallons. It seems to work fine all though the first batch wasnt quite as expected because we had to get our process down. the thing to remember when your adding the extract is that 30 pounds of extract takes up a lot of space in the kettle and my first time doing this size of a batch i didnt take this into account and had wort a bout a half inch from the rim of the pot.

I have done it with a buddy, we took an extract recipe and to a ten gallon boil with something like thirty pounds of extract then top up to twenty five gallons. It seems to work fine all though the first batch wasnt quite as expected because we had to get our process down. the thing to remember when your adding the extract is that 30 pounds of extract takes up a lot of space in the kettle and my first time doing this size of a batch i didnt take this into account and had wort a bout a half inch from the rim of the pot.

I had expected it to take some space!!

I also expect the krausen to be ginormous, but proportional.Any other tips?

Not much else on advice, its just like doing a normal extract batch just a bit bigger. good luck!

let us know how it turns out. i recommend buying the extract in bulk for north country

Nice. I second buying in bulk if you can eat the up front charge for all those brews. Buying extract by the pound hurts for a good amount of extract in brews.

Post back results or pm me them please, Im very interested in how yours turns out. Have fun!:ban:

My Uncle George used to do this all the time. Cheesecloth on top of the can during fermentation. Then he bottled in quart and half gallon root beer bottles!

i might try this over the winter with a dry stout when i can leave it in the cellar and not worry about ferment temps

Didn't actually get to it. Pretty serious "life" effed me pretty bad. WILL try this when I get my big bonus end of SEPT.

Back