Identify this worm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tac0meat

Reaction score
From the looks of it maybe there ought to be an official "what's eating my hops thread" but I found these and I am pretty sure they are the cause of the holes in my leaves any idea what they are and how to get rid of them?:

hop%20bugs.JPG

pics or it didn't happen? I have had some caterpillars on my Northern Brewer and my Cascades that I think have been munching away.

what worm?? i see what looks to be a slug and some wierd looking catapillar. looks like ladybug larva but with an extra 10 pairs of legs:confused:

Those are both larvae, not worms. Most likely moths or beetles, but I won't attempt to identify them. Worms don't have legs (think earthworms).

tacOmeat-
where do you reside?

Houston, TX

If they are catapillars, is there a way to get rid of them without harming good insects like lady bugs? I bought a bag of lady bugs to sprinkle around my plants the other day. I had aphids on my grapes but haven't found any yet on my hops. I noticed these guys above while inspecting my hops. I see they have eaten a good amount from the cones and some of my leaves look a little ravaged.

They both look like catepillars to me. The smaller ones look to have stuff on thier back to protect from predators. I belive a close up on the smaller one's head might be helpful in indentification. Also, confirmation on the number of legs might help. Catepillars are eating machines, that is the only purpose they have in life before they pupate, definatetly something you don't want. Hopefully someone can ID these and give a way to kill them off without the lady bugs being killed.

Not sure about this bug is in particular but you can mist down the entire plants with a mild soap solution to keep a lot of stuff off. Obviously much safer than chemicals and its supposed to work really well. My hops book is at home but I can look after work.

From the looks of it maybe there ought to be an official "what's eating my hops thread" but I found these and I am pretty sure they are the cause of the holes in my leaves any idea what they are and how to get rid of them?:

hop%20bugs.JPG

I'm not sure about the "worms" on the top hop cone. But the one on the bottom hop cone looks like a "cutworm". The cutworm can destroy your hops and eat voraciously. I've killed half a dozen so far this year on my hops plants.

From Wikipedia: The term cutworm is used for the larvae of many species of moth. Most cutworms are in the moth family Noctuidae, however, many noctuid larvae are not cutworms. Cutworms are notorious agricultural and garden pests. They are voracious leaf, bud, and stem feeders and can destroy entire plants. They get their name from their habit of "cutting" off a seedling at ground level by chewing through the stem. Some species are subterranean and eat roots. Cutworms are usually green, brown, or yellow soft-bodied caterpillars, often with longitudinal stripes, up to one inch in length. There are many variations across the genera.

Back