Fixing an overcarbonated Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a stout that is WAAAY over carbonated. Waaaaay. Also, a little too strong on the cocoa. I was thinking of uncapping the bottles and adding the beer to a bottling bucket, then adding some guiness stout.

I have about 1 case of my stout and was thinking of a 4 pack of the guiness cans. I would sanitize the bottles (and cans) with star san prior to pouring into a sanitized bucket.

Thoughts on this?

Any tips on what to do or not do? That ratio seem good?

Thanks

How over-carbed? You might just be able to uncap and recap...CO2 will come out of solution to re-fill that headspace. It'd be easy to try with just a couple bottles to see.

as for the cocoa, how young is the beer? cocoa will probably mellow with time, and stout is one fo those beers that only improves with some aging, at least in my humble opinion :)

Thanks for the tip. I will uncap and recap a few... Then wait like a week? Longer? Cocoa is only slightly over done.

Back