Dry yeast packet was soft. Still ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdkirk86

Reaction score
I purchased an ingredient kit from my local hbs shop yesterday and when i received my packet of dry yeast it was hard and still vacuum sealed, however today i began brewing and i took the packet out of the fridge and i noticed it was soft. It still seemed sealed, i didn't see any holes or tears in it so i pitched it anyways. On the packet, it says do not use if soft or inflated. Why would that effect the yeast? Is my brew going to be ok? I probably wouldn't have used it but since its a 45 minute drive to my hbs store i did anyways. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cooling it in the fridge probably made the gas inside of it shrink. I think you are fine.

I let it come to room temp before pitching it, no worries there. I always use dry yeast and I have never had it do that before. everyone else think it's ok?

Get it to room temp . Then your good . Only issue i had before was it froze in my refer. Then it was no good.

Latest posts

Back