Anybody ever use a main co2 valve in your keezer to prevent leaks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidgsmit

Smithaus Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was thinking... just like a sprinkler system tends to have a main valve to prevent wasted water, wouldn't it make sense to have a main valve in your gas line before the manifold to prevent leaks?

I'm building a 6 tap keezer; just think of all the parts co2 can leak from;
Posts on kegs x6 = 12
keg lids = 6
pressure relief valves = 6
keg gas connector = 6
and whatever other fittings there are between the tank and the end product. By the time you're done there's close to 50 locations where gas could potentially escape...

So is there anything like an electrical main valve that you can wire to a switch on the front of your keezer? (in the collar next to the temp regulator I was thinking) Seems like this would eventually more than pay for itself. Leaks are inevitable; eventually I think most people lose at least a few tanks worth of co2 over the course of x years. All you have to do is flick the switch before you pour.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

If I was going to do that I'd just turn it off and on at the regulator valve each time, my 20lb tank sits right next to the keezer within easy reach.

I prefer to just be meticulous about leaks, otherwise the kegs would lose carbonation. Since I learned my lesson at first I haven't had an undiagnosed leak in 5 yrs (I also have 6 kegs in line).

I have been kegging for 2 years. When I built my kegerator with 3 regulators, I never had one leak. You just need to do your do diligence when assembling everything and you should never have a problem.

I have a keg carbonating more often than not, so the valve would be open most of the time if I had one, which kinda defeats the purpose. If you're careful when putting the gas system together, and then take good care of it, you shouldn't have any leaks.

I learned the hardway....leaked out a 15lb tank pretty quick. I have 4 cornys and 2 sankeys in my keezer atm. Discovered 4 leaks. None of them you could hear either. Easy way to check, get a spray bottle and fill it with dawn dish soap and water. Spray all you connections. That will make it pretty obvious if you're good to go or not

Thanks for all the feedback!

I will just tripple check everything and use some quality clamps!

Looks like a electric valve would run about 100 bucks anyway, hardly worth it.

Back