Malt O Meal as adjnct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Castawayales

Reaction score
Does anyone know the percentage of Wheat to Barley in Malto meal. I want to use it as an adjunct like corn grits, but am wondering how dominate the wheat will be.

The ingredient list Wheat/farina 1st and Malted barley second.

I searched and found references to it, but nothing on its make up.

Thanks

This is a super old thread but I'm wondering if anybody knows if Malt-o-meal has any ability to convert starches to sugars if I mash with it. It always seems like a fun thing to play around trying to brew beer from ingredients from a grocery store.

I once used 1 lb of dme, some Cascade hops pellets, 1 lb of brown sugar, 1 lb of Carnation choclate malt mix. The malted mix contains malted barley. It made beer, the choclate settled out and it tasted just like a canned beer kit. I only made a gallon that time.

But do you think you could have used the malt mix to convert some other grain for example? What if you would have used 1 lb of the malt mix and 1 lb of flaked wheat?

This is a super old thread but I'm wondering if anybody knows if Malt-o-meal has any ability to convert starches to sugars if I mash with it. It always seems like a fun thing to play around trying to brew beer from ingredients from a grocery store.

Wrote the company and got no response. Gave up on the idea, although if I get a chance, I would treat it as a cereal and do a cereal adjunct boil. Look it up in How to Brew by Palmer. Looked like a ton of work and you would need to mash with a good base malt.

I doubt that it would convert on it's own

Barry

I sent an email to the makers of Malt-o-Meal to try to get a response from the company. They didn't really answer all my questions about whether or not the material would convert.

Malting of barley: After selecting the choicest malting barley grown in Southeastern Minnesota and Central Wisconsin, it is "steeped" or soaked with water until thoroughly saturated, then spread on the malting floor to sprout. The sprout, or "acrospire", is allowed to grow under the husk until it is 3/4 the length of the kernel. To stop this growth, heat is applied, slowly at first to assist turning the starch to sugar, and then intensely to caramelize some of the sugar which has been formed. It is this heating process which gives Malt-O-Meal it’s distinctive flavor and color. After being caramelized, the malt is ground on mill rolls to the same size as the wheat middlings and the outer husk is removed. This malting process of grain produces a healthful and easily digestible product rich in enzymes and vitamins, as well as malt sugar.

Comments such as yours are important to us and we appreciate that you took the time to share them with our company.

Thanks again for your interest in our products.

MOM Brands™
Better ways to make better breakfast at a better price.

Its still unclear if it would have any intact enzymatic potential but it does make it sound pretty similar to what we all use to brew. I'm not sure how toasted/caramelized Malt-o-Meal is because I haven't actually seen it in years but it might be an easy way to get some wheat malt. It also may have a distinct flavor not found in common wheat malts we'd get from the brew stores.

Well, there is a way to find out. Heat some water and add some Malt-o-Meal, hold at 150 degrees or so and see if it get sweeter.

Ok I think I'm gonna try to make a Malt-o-Meal Pale Ale. I'm going to try to use 100% Malt-o-Meal however to give it some more interesting flavors, I was thinking about doing a double decoction instead of adding something like a crystal malt. This would also be the first time trying to do a decoction.

Basic recipe:
3.5 gallon batch
2.5 gallon boil
BIAB-style
OG 1.059
IBU ~30

7# Malt-o-Meal (4-28oz boxes)
8oz rice hulls

Protein rest @ ~130F for 20 minutes
Decoction
Mash @ ~152F for 90 minutes
Decoction
Mash-out @ ~165F

Whirlfloc @ 15 min

0.5 oz Cascade @ 60 min, 20 min, 10 min, flameout
1 oz Cascade dryhop

Yeast: SA-05 and ferment around 65-70F

If the mash doesn't convert, I'll have to make some quick decisions. I'm planning on just checking to see how sweet the mash gets as a test of conversion. I probably can add a few pounds of pale malt as a backup plan if needed to get it to convert.

It looks like the malt-o-meal will probably cost ~ $5/box which means that this will be more expensive than a normal brew but I think it will be cool to see if it works at all. I might just buy a small box and hold some at ~150F to see if any conversion takes place.

Subscribed. Any update on how this turned out? I was wanting to try this with a cream ale kit I have and some cream of wheat, but if it turns out the MOM works I'll use that instead.

No, I've gotten really busy lately but will probably try this in the fall or winter. I'll post when I do something. Let me know how yours goes.

I know it's been many years but i just added malt o meal to my 5 gallon primary and 1 gallon test batch. Prior to this I've added another pitch of yeast because my last batch was very low abv. So now I'm trying to make a high alcohol content brew... If it tastes like crap I'll just distill it and make some spirit out of it. Anyway, I've been adding sugar, honey and corn syrup sollution to it daily for about 5 days. The first day i had a very strong reaction with the yeast. And it dwindled nil on day 5. I worried that the yeast ran out of nutrients because The brew had already gone through about 6 weeks of fermentation. When i tested the specific gravity it was reading like 2% alcohol. So i concluded that i needed to add a secondary yeast pitch and hence the reason I'm here talking about malt o meal. Yesterday i added 180mg of zinc gluconate because i was figuring that the yeast just ran out of nutrients (the SG was reading about 10% and im using turbo yeast for 20% abv.. So something is definitely getting in the way of that yield). This morning i was making malt o meal for breakfast and just happened to read the box... Saw barley malt and lots of sugar as primary ingredients. So i added about 3 cups to the 5 gallon and half a cup to the 1 gallon... The reaction was more intense and has lasted longer than the 1.5 lbs of sugar that I've already added. My conclusion is that this is loaded with nutrients and sugar. Definitely works and is a good DIY.. In fact im a bit surprised that no one on here talking about this didn't just try it. It's so cheap to just make a batch so i find all the speculation a bit funny. I'm going to add some hops in about 3 weeks or so becuase i know it's sugary then bottle the test batch. If the test batch tastes okay ill bottle the rest. If not, all 5 + gallons are getting distilled into liqueur lol. Hope this helps!

Just found this thread after using 2pounds of farina along with base grains in a 6 gallon batch. Used Fermentis wheat beer yeast. Pitched 2 different starters and neither took. Have a 3 day starter of Swiss yeast growing now. Going to transfer to second carboy to get it off the grub and repurchase today. Used iodine to check conversion and there is no reason it shouldn't be working. I don't know if I got bad yeast or what. Will post a follow-up after the new yeast has a chance. If this one fails I'm gonna pitch turbo yeast.

Yes, absolutely. That is all that I use for "beer." I use Malt o meal as my barley malt extract powder. I use a whole grain source like wheat or barley for the grain. I have done 20 jugs so far a gallon size each. This week I did 14 without any adjunct sugar added. It is working great. Well, not like apple juice. It takes a day and a half to start and two days to take off, so be patient. This tends to be a slow sluggish ferment. I plan to add sugar adjunct in 5- 10 days when ever, after I wear the malt out. It absolutely works. I mean without the sugar. If your like me and you drink rocket fuel, then, you'll want to add sugar in the later stages of the ferment. I have gone to fermenting my stuff in a very warm warehouse 85*f for 3 months. Every five days or so when it quits I know how to re-start it and add to it. But, yes, absolutely, malt o meal works as a malt extract powder.

Latest posts

Back