Coffee Stout Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
Here's the recipe I plan on brewing this weekend... Note my efficiency setting. I am getting my own mill soon, the one at the LHBS sucks.

Thoughts? I am going to cold brew coffee and add to secondary. Chinook might be a better stout hop, but I have TONS of Centennial at home.

Coffee Stout
November 16, 2008
32-40.gif

Stout
Dry Stout
All Grain
5 gal.
Volume Boiled 6.5 gal.
Mash Efficiency 54 %
Total Grain/Extract 13.00 lbs.
Total Hops 1.0 oz.

9 lbs. American 2-row
1 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
1 lbs. American Black Patent
1 lbs. Roasted Barley
1 lbs. Oats Flaked
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
Yeast : Safale S-05 Top Quality Ale Yeast

Original Gravity 1.045
Terminal Gravity 1.009
Color 39.67 °SRM
Bitterness 41.4 IBU
Alcohol (%volume) 4.7 %
100 % overall

Sounds delicious. Filtering cold brewed coffee was a PITA for me. I ran it through a coffee filter and it took about 45 mins to filter a .5 gal. of java. I had to continuosly stir with a spoon. That being said my Longwinded Stout(Choco, coffee, oatmeal) was really a great brew. If I could figure out a better way to filter I'd do it again.

That is a lot of dark roasted malts for an average gravity beer, plus you are adding more roasted flavors with the coffee addition. You can still use a mix of the three malts, but I would cut back to 1.25-1.5 lbs. I would keep the whole pound of roasted barley and decrease the choco and black patent. Toss is a little more 2-row to keep your gravity where you want it with your system.

10 lbs. American 2-row
.5 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
.5 lbs. Debittered Black Patent
.5 lbs. Roasted Barley
1 lbs. Oats Flaked
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
Yeast : Safale S-05 Top Quality Ale Yeast

Better? Forgot to change the Black Patent on there to debittered.

I would get rid of the black malt altogether and put coffee malt in place of it. That might give you all the coffee flavor you want. If it isn't enough you can always add that cold pressed coffee post fermentation.

Back