Fermenting time question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Festivus

Reaction score
I made my first batch last night. Fermentation started somewhere between 4 and 11 hrs from pitching the yeast. When I checked it today at 11 hrs, there was vigorous bubbling in the airlock. Now at around 23 hrs, and bubbling has slowed considerably. I see a bubble once every 45 seconds or so. The krausen is still on the top so it is seems to still be going, just slowly. Is this a normal or did the bubbling in the airlock slow too much?

For reference I made a red ale fementing at 70 degrees right now.

Thanks for the help.

Yes everything is normal. It will take at least a week for fermentation to be done completely. It's hard, but waiting for it to be done really is best. Laziness pays off in homebrewing :D

And welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the quick response!
One more question is that I used vodka in the airlock. After a day, the level of vodka seems lower to me. Some of it is drops higher up inside, but it doesnt seem like enough. It doesnt look like any suck back has happened to me. The level of vodka seems pretty low... should i top it off or just leave it?

I'd bet there would be no harm in adding more vodka to the airlock. I've had to add to my airlock in the past. Though I believe the loss of liquid in my airlock was due to lots of bubbling forcing the liquid out rather than being sucked in.

Good luck

Ok great. I think my loss of liquid was also just caused by the lots of bubbling. It was going pretty strong yesterday.

Thanks for the help.

Back