Igloo 4.6 Cu Ft Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmech

Reaction score
I've been looking for a fridge that wouldn't need too much modification in order to fit 2 pin lock kegs in. Most of the new fridges are just too small and the older ones that are big enough are harder and harder to come by. So when I found a 4.6 cu ft fridge on walmart.com for $125 I jumped on it...

...well it's not big enough. I didn't feel like taking it back so I am modifying it.

Modifying it is a kind word. I'm gutting the bastard.

So far I have removed all the shelves, cut off the shelf holders on the sides, removed the front door panels, cut a huge chunk out of the back shelf to make room for a keg, installed a new steel mounting plate, and back filled with great stuff. So far so good and I am using a keg as a form for the great stuff. I'll post some pics when the great stuff dries.

Cheers!

I too thought about purchasing the same fridge. Can you share any pics with us?

2012-10-14+00.00.29.jpg

The great stuff is curing around the keg. I wiped the keg down with canola oil to prevent the great stuff from sticking to the keg. I should have used more.

2012-10-14+00.00.38.jpg

The door. The whole door panel comes off with some screws, super easy. I will transfer the skirt.

2012-10-14+00.00.56.jpg

Here is the steel bracket from the backside. I used some carriage bolts to secure it and used some sheet metal screws for extra hold. I laid down a liberal bead of silicone caulk underneath the steel to help keep it air tight.

2012-10-14+00.01.42.jpg

This is the underside. The steel is just about siting right up against the compressor. I will have to modify the drip plate and screw it back on. I am going to drill a hole for a hose for the gas line through the step as well.

Next step is to cut the foam away from the keg. I tried using some fishing line. I'm gonna have to slide something in there to get it out completely without ruining the foam. Then I am going to make some simple cleaning cuts on the foam and cover it all with a liberal amount of foil tape. Also I am going to add some more insulation to the backside of the steel sheet metal and make sure none of it is touching the condenser. Then all I have to do is reattach the skirt and put the hole in the top for the tower.

Cheers!

OK! I got the keg out and I taped everything up and reinsulated the back side.

Here's some pics.

2012-10-14+20.01.31.jpg

I think 2 pin locks will fit if I make some latches for the door. 1 ball and 1 pin work fine and 2 ball locks fit fine.

2012-10-14+20.01.55.jpg

The is a close up of the plate.

2012-10-14+20.02.29.jpg

This is where I reinsulted the back. There is about a 1/2 in oaround the back of the compressor and I added the taped to deflect heat.

I'm plugging it in tonight to make sure it still works then tomorrow night I will install the tap tower.

Cheers!

I drilled the holes for the tower last night. There are lines running through the top so I had to be careful. I gotta get some longer stainless screws to mount the tower, but everything should be done tonight!

It's about 98% done. I need to get a dedicated CO2 bottle for it. I have my 20#er behind it at the moment, but I need that for carbonation. Anyway it's good enough to pour the first pint!

2012-10-16+21.46.31.jpg

Cheers!!!

Looks good! I have a similar model... maybe a bit older. Haven't done anything with it yet tho. Did yours have a freezer shelf across the top of the fridge? If so, what did you do to remove it?

This one doesn't have a freezer shelf, just a tray that you pull out with the shelves. I might have to relocate the thermostat for ball locks.

Was it absolutely necessary to cut out the back for two kegs? I want to do a conversion on this fridge too.

Was it absolutely necessary to cut out the back for two kegs? I want to do a conversion on this fridge too.

no i just got mine tonight. will fit two ball locks, i had to schave down the side bracket holders and i had to unscrew thermostat and i glue it to the top of fridge vs the side .

Was this the FR464 model? I just ordered one from Walmart and intend on converting it as well.

Thanks

Edit: Just found this thread where a FR464 model was used so it looks like I'm good to go. Unless the specs have changed dramatically in the last few months...

I brought my Igloo 4.6 FR465 home tonight and I can now reveal the interior dimensions. The dimensions of the full height interior space are 8 3/4D X 17W X 29H. This would indicate if you're using ball lock cornys that are true to the 8.5" X 25" size, you've got an exact fit for $124! (you'll have to shave the shelf guides)

The rear shelf is 6.5" from back to front and 21" high. Plenty of room for a 5lb Co2 tank.

There is a "freezer" in this thing, but no coolant lines whatsoever. It's a plastic box that readily comes out without tools. The thermostat will likely need to be relocated, but it only has an electrical wire attached to it, seems like a very small endeavor.

here's my issue that i could use some advise on: I got tired of waiting on the usual suppliers to come up with used cornys, so I bought new ones. Nobody except nothern brewer gives dimensions on these. They say +1.5" in width, but same height and volume... seems mathematically impossible. Does anyone out there have new kegs they'd care to share dimensions on?

I bought from learntobrew, if it makes a difference...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-4.6-cu.-ft.-Refrigerator-and-Freezer-Stainless-Steel/15162471

Thanks a lot for this thread, I am planning on ordering one of these from wal-mart tomorrow. I will post how it goes. I am planning on using 2 ball locks from the Kegco system. Price is currently $109 on this unit.

It's about 98% done. I need to get a dedicated CO2 bottle for it. I have my 20#er behind it at the moment, but I need that for carbonation. Anyway it's good enough to pour the first pint!

2012-10-16+21.46.31.jpg

Cheers!!!

Hi, i was wondering where you drilled the holes in the top? I have the same model and have been trying to find some details on where the lines run. Any help would be great!!! THanks

-Otismo_hansen

Hi, i was wondering where you drilled the holes in the top? I have the same model and have been trying to find some details on where the lines run. Any help would be great!!! THanks

-Otismo_hansen

Any answer on this? I plan on adding a tower to mine today...

Back