Belma Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went for 30 gal but got 28 @ ~85% efficiency & ~ 85 ibu's. Tried my 1st keg & def plenty of fruitiness going on with nice crisp hop bite. i guess belma is better in combination with the C hops and other higher AA hops. i'm yet to do a smash or any single hopping with the belma...

I just opened a bag of Belma and had a whiff. It's a very unique aroma, hard to put my finger on, but seems herbal to me. I'm getting a little pine and maybe a touch of black licorice, something like that. I'm anxious to feature it in a simple pale, I'll do that next.

I finally found a beer that belma shines in. White IPA. This is a seriously excellent brew. I am drinking one as I post this......the corriander with the hops and yeast are just perfect...

16 gallon batch

22 pounds pale
4 pounds pils
1 pound munich
2 pounds flaked oats
2 pounds malted red wheat
1 pound sugar
1 oz millenium at 60
2 oz centennial at 30
1 oz cenntennial 15
1 oz columbus 15
2 oz belma at 15
2 oz centennial at FO
2 oz columbus at FO
4 oz belma at FO
5 oz crushed corriander at FO
6 oz glacier cold dry hop
Wyeast 3944 (2.5 liters on a stir plate)
Mash at 150
OG = 1.065
FG - 1.0010
IBU roughly 55
Ferment at 65-67 degrees

Enjoying yet another glass of my all-belma APA. Can't wait to use this hop more. After a couple weeks in the keg, the aroma has definitely faded, and I can see where people get a grassy character from the hop (I only dry hopped 3 days). Still, my next iteration of this beer will be even more amazing. I can't get enough Belma!

Enjoying yet another glass of my all-belma APA. Can't wait to use this hop more. After a couple weeks in the keg, the aroma has definitely faded, and I can see where people get a grassy character from the hop (I only dry hopped 3 days). Still, my next iteration of this beer will be even more amazing. I can't get enough Belma!
You can have mine. Not sure they are worth the shipping cost though...

Ouch Kev! They didn't turn out to be the next Citra, but I will use them up for bittering and mid boil in APA and IPA, maybe a Saison. They have a good AA% and a complimentary flavor. I can't buy Magnum for $5 a pound. I won't use for dry hopping though.

First time browsing this thread. I've had a lot of Belma in stock since last fall and used in several beers... IPA's and pales. One was heavily dry hopped. The comments about lack of aroma makes total sense. While I get a decent taste profile, I've been scratching my head at the lack of aroma that I get from a Cascade or Amarillo. Good to see others have notice this as well. I still have more than a pound left, so will relegate to bittering and flavor in future brews.

Looking forward to making another batch of EdWort's Haus Pale with this and cascade. I haven't been wowed by them, but they have worked well for bittering, and late additions in conjunction with something else. Get a nice earthy, subtle spice from them with Cascade, and I will say in everything I have used them in they add hugely to head retention and add a creamy mouthfeel.

Brewed this 4 days ago, Was going to add 8lb Strawberries for a Strawberry Wheat, But the fermenter smells so good I might save the strawberries for later.
Someone said : Strawberry Bubblicious gum - nailed it!

Strawberry Wheat

5lb US 2Row
5lb Wheat
4lb Vienna
1.5lb C15
1.2lb Rice Hulls

Mashed @ 155º for a little sweeter brew.

Belma @ 1.5oz FWH, 2.5oz @ 10, 2.5oz @ 5, 2.5oz @ 0 , and 1oz 5 minutes into chill

8lb Strawberries Topped, Washed and Frozen

Pacman 1L Starter

I made an all belma saison with 3726. Holy strawberry batman. Very very good saison IMO. Probably will not use this hop for anything other than a blonde ale or a saison but for those two, I think it would work most of the time.

Trying to track down an off-flavor in a Belma/Strisselspalt session saison. It's giving me a somewhat grassy/metallic dryness. It's only been in bottle about 1.5 weeks, so it may clear up with a little time. It's not so bad that I won't thoroughly enjoy this beer - the berry/citrus flavor is phenomenal - but I'd still like to eliminate that flavor in future batches. Here's the recipe:

BIAB/No-Chill, 6 gallons

5.5 lb Maris Otter (malty backbone)
2 oz Acid Malt (pH adjustment)

.25 oz Belma FWH (calculated as 30 min add)
1 oz Strisselspalt - cube hop (calculated as 20 min add)
.25 oz Belma - cube hop (20 min add)
1 oz Strisselspalt - dry hop for 7 days
1 oz Belma - dry hop for 7 days

Wyeast 3711

OG: 1.030
FG: 1.006
ABV: 3.15%
SRM: 3.3
IBU: 21.6
BU:GU: 0.73

Mash: 60 min @ 154-156
Mash-out: 15 min @ 170
Boil: 60 min

I just had a Belma Pale Ale at Full Sail Brewery the other day...it was underwhelming as well. Slightly better than my Belma PA, but I still wasn't getting any major flavor and aroma...and continue to look for the strawberry roll up essence reported by others, don't get that either.

I made an American Wheat with Belmas, it is a good wheat, no major fruity flavors in it either tho.

Oh well, they are a cheap bittering and flavor hop to round out big IPA's and DIPAs.

I made an all belma saison with 3726. Holy strawberry batman. Very very good saison IMO. Probably will not use this hop for anything other than a blonde ale or a saison but for those two, I think it would work most of the time.

I still have a pound sitting in my freezer that I haven't tried yet. I was just thinking about making a saison (or maybe a wheat beer), and adding some additional strawberries in secondary to make a very fruity summer beer.

dpatrickv, care to share your recipe?

I still have a pound sitting in my freezer that I haven't tried yet. I was just thinking about making a saison (or maybe a wheat beer), and adding some additional strawberries in secondary to make a very fruity summer beer.

dpatrickv, care to share your recipe?

I took the session saison I listed above to my homebrew club meeting, and it was a hit. The strawberry plays very nice in a saison. Try brewing with just the belma before you add actual strawberries to it, just to get a taste for it.

If you do add strawberries, cook them first. Raw strawberries tend to promote plastic flavors.

I saw Stan Hieronymus speak last night and he mentioned that some "flavor" of hops will increase over time. I thunk that is what happens with Belma. My IPA has been in keg for about 3 months and is just now starting to taste super fruity. But it is a strong strawberry and melon taste. I like it a lot.

I've definitely noticed the fruity sweet kind of flavors you get from Belma. I did an APA with it, mixed in a little cascade, but for the most part Belma was used in all the hop additions. At first I thought I had it too hot while fermenting, but it was always in the low to mid 60s during fermentation, so I was a little confused, until I started reading on here. What I figured was the banana fruity flavor (I've had a warm fermentation with US-05, that's why I was confused, it was a similar fruity flavor, but not quite ester banana), was actually strawberry and melon, that people mention here, I just couldn't place it. It's not bad, just not my thing on something I made to drink on a daily basis. Other than liking actual strawberries, I have adverse reactions to anything flavored strawberry, candies, soda, so this just wasn't a taste I wanted.

I recently used it on another APA I brewed, this time only using it for the bittering addition and it worked well enough for that, that $5 was definitely a bargain. I don't see myself using it for anything other than bittering though, in the future.

I've definitely noticed the fruity sweet kind of flavors you get from Belma. I did an APA with it, mixed in a little cascade, but for the most part Belma was used in all the hop additions. At first I thought I had it too hot while fermenting, but it was always in the low to mid 60s during fermentation, so I was a little confused, until I started reading on here. What I figured was the banana fruity flavor (I've had a warm fermentation with US-05, that's why I was confused, it was a similar fruity flavor, but not quite ester banana), was actually strawberry and melon, that people mention here, I just couldn't place it. It's not bad, just not my thing on something I made to drink on a daily basis. Other than liking actual strawberries, I have adverse reactions to anything flavored strawberry, candies, soda, so this just wasn't a taste I wanted.

I recently used it on another APA I brewed, this time only using it for the bittering addition and it worked well enough for that, that $5 was definitely a bargain. I don't see myself using it for anything other than bittering though, in the future.

Same here

I worked well in my Honey APA. Used it to dry hop and it came out nicely with good comments from a BJCP judge. Made me feel good about my first brew.

Figured on a whim tossed a little into a Pale Ale I made since I had ingredients on hand on Friday. The last time I brewed it it was extra bitter for some reason and I thought wht the hell, I will add some belma to fruity balance it up a little. WIll find out how it turns out in a couple weeks.

strambo said:
I just had a Belma Pale Ale at Full Sail Brewery the other day...it was underwhelming as well. Slightly better than my Belma PA, but I still wasn't getting any major flavor and aroma...and continue to look for the strawberry roll up essence reported by others, don't get that either.

I made an American Wheat with Belmas, it is a good wheat, no major fruity flavors in it either tho.

Oh well, they are a cheap bittering and flavor hop to round out big IPA's and DIPAs.
I'm curious to see your recipe. Can you put up for a critique? Perhaps HBT can help :)

I'll be cracking open my Bemla/Motueka pale ale this weekend. Tasting the sample for gravity when bottling was a joy. It was extremely guava like and not so much strawberry or melon. Here is my hop bill:

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.40 ozs 14.67 Motueka 60 mins 7.50
0.10 ozs 4.25 Belma 30 mins 11.30
0.20 ozs 5.64 Motueka 30 mins 7.50
0.10 ozs 2.74 Belma 15 mins 11.30
0.20 ozs 3.64 Motueka 15 mins 7.50
0.50 ozs 3.66 Motueka 5 mins 7.50
0.25 ozs 2.75 Belma 5 mins 11.30
0.10 ozs 0.00 Belma 4 days 11.30
0.20 ozs 0.00 Motueka 4 days 7.50

I'm curious to see your recipe. Can you put up for a critique? Perhaps HBT can help
Sure...

Belma Pale Ale American Pale Ale
Type: Partial Mash Batch Size (fermenter): 2.50 gal

Ingredients
1 lbs 12.2 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)Grain
3.5 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
3.5 ozCaramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.22 ozMagnum [14.30 %] - First Wort 60.0 min
2 lbs 3.2 ozPale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)Extract
0.47 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 ozBelma [12.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min
0.5 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast [23.66 ml]
1.00 ozBelma [12.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Measured Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.4 %Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.4 %
Bitterness: 45.2 IBUs
Est Color: 9.4 SRM Mash Profile

Note, some of the grain fractions seem odd, that's because I made a 5 gal size wort with the FWH addition, then after boiling for 40 mins, split it out into 2 pots for 2x 2.5 gal batches. One got Legacy for flavor/aroma, 1 got Belma. The Legacy was better.

strambo said:
Ingredients
1 lbs 12.2 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)Grain
3.5 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
3.5 ozCaramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.22 ozMagnum [14.30 %] - First Wort 60.0 min
2 lbs 3.2 ozPale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)Extract
0.47 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 ozBelma [12.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min
0.5 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast [23.66 ml]
1.00 ozBelma [12.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Measured Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.4 %Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.4 %
Bitterness: 45.2 IBUs
Est Color: 9.4 SRM Mash Profile
You've got a heavy malt bomb on your hands there!! MOPA, crystal & biscuit wowzerz!! You should go overboard with hopping to battle your malts & try to balance things. I would recommend multiple hop additions toward the end (<15 min) & big dry hopping. With this grain bill I don't think its worth even attempting "hoppy". Go another direction & try belma again:
8 lbs pilsner
1 lb honey malt
1 oz belma @60 min
2 oz belma @15 min
4 oz belma @0 min
*this will help put belma on the hop stage & shine through with slightly sweet malt bill but still balanced.

Just my $.02

You've got a heavy malt bomb on your hands there!! MOPA, crystal & biscuit wowzerz!!

I disagree. He's using 3.5 oz biscuit and 3.5 oz 40L into 2.5 gallons. That's only 7 oz. That's not going to be a malt bomb. Unless, of course, you're used to drinking BMC ;)

I disagree. He's using 3.5 oz biscuit and 3.5 oz 40L into 2.5 gallons. That's only 7 oz.

maybe "maltbomb" was exagerrated but you get my point. i see that recipe and it screams english style to me - there's alot to hide behind. a SG of 1.62 is going to challenge your hop utilization. all i'm saying is that this hop is much less aggressive than some other hops of equivalent AA% so you have to go excessive & up the quantity used. maybe puterburgh farms knew that & that's why they're dirt cheap! i try to defend a stupid hop and i'm compared to a bmc fan lol :p

jessup said:
Go another direction & try belma again:
8 lbs pilsner
1 lb honey malt
1 oz belma @60 min
2 oz belma @15 min
4 oz belma @0 min
*this will help put belma on the hop stage & shine through with slightly sweet malt bill but still balanced.

Just my $.02

I have to agree, from talking with the LHBS and some other people they were suggesting a BU:GU ratio of .5-.8for a Belma SMaSH. It would allow the malt and Belma to shine.

Here is the recipe for my Belma/Motueka Pale which is rather tasty and definetly has the Belma character shining through. Motueka plays well with the melon/fruitiness of Belma and gives the beer an almost fruit infused type of taste while still having a nice bit of malt backbone. BU:GU ratio is about .79.

Belma Motueka

Style: American Pale Ale
Type: All Grain Calories: 155.47
Rating: 0.0 Boil Size: 3.50 Gals
IBU's: 38.54 Batch Size: 3.50 Gals
Color: 5.1 SRM Boil Time: 60 minutes
Preboil OG: 1.048
Estimated Actual
Brew Date: - 04/14/2013
OG: 1.048 1.048
FG: 1.012 1.007
ABV: 4.68 % 5.37 %
Efficiency: 68.00 % 68.59 %

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
84.00 ozs 77.06 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 90 mins 1.036
20.00 ozs 18.35 % Briess Vienna Malt 90 mins 1.036
5.00 ozs 4.59 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L 90 mins 1.035

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.40 ozs 15.14 Motueka 60 mins 7.50
0.10 ozs 4.38 Belma 30 mins 11.30
0.20 ozs 5.82 Motueka 30 mins 7.50
0.10 ozs 2.83 Belma 15 mins 11.30
0.20 ozs 3.76 Motueka 15 mins 7.50
0.50 ozs 3.77 Motueka 5 mins 7.50
0.25 ozs 2.84 Belma 5 mins 11.30
0.10 ozs 0.00 Belma 4 days 11.30
0.20 ozs 0.00 Motueka 4 days 7.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1 dry pkgs Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Thanks for the feedback, I was going for a quasi-English style. It worked really well with the Legacy hops. Next time I'll use a simple grain bill and mo Belmas!

Kane Brewing Co is &#8220;A Wolf Among the Seas&#8221; is our exploration and celebration of hops. To date, we have brewed *9* different single hop IPAs utilizing both old favorites and some new varietals we&#8217;ve found interesting.
We&#8217;ve made single-hop IPAs with:
Citra®, Simcoe®, Amarillo®, Legacy, Columbus, New Zealand Nelson Sauvin, Bravo, Mosaic&#8482;, New Zealand Pacific Hallertau.

I get there and ask the first random people I see in the parking lot what the "must have" is. they reply BELMA!!!! i spoke with others inside and they sung the same song. i thought that was pretty damn funny since it wasn't advertised for the event. love it or hate it I suppose :mug: fyi Kane Brewing is the bombdiggy! if you're ever in NJ it's def the must visit brewery.

jessup said:
Kane Brewing Co is &ldquo;A Wolf Among the Seas&rdquo; is our exploration and celebration of hops. To date, we have brewed *9* different single hop IPAs utilizing both old favorites and some new varietals we&rsquo;ve found interesting.
We&rsquo;ve made single-hop IPAs with:
Citra®, Simcoe®, Amarillo®, Legacy, Columbus, New Zealand Nelson Sauvin, Bravo, Mosaic&trade;, New Zealand Pacific Hallertau.

I get there and ask the first random people I see in the parking lot what the "must have" is. they reply BELMA!!!! i spoke with others inside and they sung the same song. i thought that was pretty damn funny since it wasn't advertised for the event. love it or hate it I suppose :mug: fyi Kane Brewing is the bombdiggy! if you're ever in NJ it's def the must visit brewery.

How was the Belma IPA? I have been thinking of doing a series of single hop IPAs myself and have read some great things about belma versions.

It was all gone before I could try it. Must have been good if the folks I spoke with said it was better than the rest & kicked before many other more highly regarded hops.

Back